Hey Kelly

Deang

I asked this question about something you said in the tbabb thread regarding the 6SN7's.

You said:

"A good 5692 sounds so damn organic with atmosphere galore. They probably have some of the best soundstaging around. Dean, you got some good stuff too, as you knew I would say. Pay attention to that 6SN7 version, with the 60s coming in high. Very clean tube with a touch of the 5692 sound."

I don't understand what you meant by "60's coming in high". I'm also not quite sure if you were applying the statement to the CBS 5692 Brownbase, or the Sylvania 6SN7WGT Chrometops.

Thanks

This message has been edited by deang on 09-22-2002 at 08:38 PM

Strangely enough, I must have either been under the influence of my special "aspirin" or reacting to the lack of sleep the last 72 hours. Regardless, I have no idea what the hell I was blabbering about.

OK...perhaps a bit.

What I was trying to say, and failed miserably in my attempt, was that the 1960s Sylvania Chrome Top Yellow letter 6SN7WGT are some of my favorite 6SN7 tubes.

The good 5692 can be slightly softer sounding but more atmospheric and 3 dimensional. It has one of the deepest sound stages (which some consider artificial anyway) of any tube. Some find them to amorphous sounding but I love the tube.

btw, even though RCA actually made the bulk of ALL the listed variations of the 5692, you still get different sounding versions due to the change in time of construction, run, and materials. So in a way, they can have different sonics.

I usually dont like making tube recs on any forums for obvious reasons.

kh

------------------

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>