Maran5z pm6006 for Klipsch rp-260F?

Hi guys

I am deciding to buy a stereo amp for the music.

I stuck between two models;

Marantz pm6006 

Denon 720

Marantz has built in DAC which Denon hasn't.What does that DAC do?what is the advantage of having DAC?

Shortly can those amps drive the rp-260f without any problem?Can they provide enough power for the rp-260Fs?

I have a Marantz PM6006 driving a set of 93 sensitivity speakers and you can't turn it up past 12 o'clock on the dial. I think it will drive the 260s without any issues in a normal size home room. The DAC converts your digital signal (optical and coax in) to an analog signal. The Marantz has a decent one. I have never heard the Denon. Marantz is well built and looks good imo. 

1 hour ago, Derrick said:

You would have to buy a separate DAC if you go with the Denon which means more money, another cable and another box. If you want digital input of course. 

By digital input ,did you mean like mp3 or flac files playing from my pc?

And if the device has digital input like coax or optic,can we say the device has a DAC?

By digital input ,did you mean like mp3 or flac files playing from my pc?

And if the device has digital input like coax or optic,can we say the device has a DAC?

Depends on how you want to hook up your digital source. The amp has analog RCA inputs for the phono stage, a tuner, etc. It also has 2 optical inputs and 1 digital coax input. If you want to play digital music (say mp3s) you have to use a digital input which would use the DAC in the amp or a straight 3.5 mil to RCA cable which would use the analog RCA input and the DAC in say your iPod or iPad. I stream my digital music from my iPad through an Apple TV box with an optical cable. Also works with a line in cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, yes if there is an optical input and/or digital coax then there is a DAC in the amp. It will say it clearly as it is a selling feature. Some people want separates and some want the DAC in the amp. Up to you.

I have a sound card creative x-fi titanium and it has its own application that sends dts and dolby signals.an optical cable is coming out from siund card and gets into the avr.and i send dts signal from the application and on the avr screen i see the DTS.At this point if i do the same for the marantz pm6006,would i be bypass the DAC in the amp by sending decoded DTS code from the sound card?

Yes you will need a DAC to convert the digital signal from the optical cable to an analog signal for the speakers. The Marantz has it built in and the Denon would need a separate unit between your computer and the amp.

1 hour ago, Derrick said:

Yes you will need a DAC to convert the digital signal from the optical cable to an analog signal for the speakers. The Marantz has it built in and the Denon would need a separate unit between your computer and the amp.

what about my sound card? as i mentioned above,if i use the sound card to send signal as DTS to amp would i have been bypassed the DAC on amp?

1 hour ago, Spirit_Rises said:

what about my sound card? as i mentioned above,if i use the sound card to send signal as DTS to amp would i have been bypassed the DAC on amp?

If your sound card does the D/A conversion and you come out of your PC through analog RCA cables, then no you will not be utilizing the DAC in the amp. 

If you come out of your PC via digital coax RCA, toslink, USB, then you will need an outboard DAC with the Denon or use the Marantz onboard DAC.

Bill

1 hour ago, willland said:

If your sound card does the D/A conversion and you come out of your PC through analog RCA cables, then no you will not be utilizing the DAC in the amp. 

If you come out of your PC via digital coax RCA, toslink, USB, then you will need an outboard DAC with the Denon or use the Marantz onboard DAC.

Bill

So if understand correctly,when i use the digital inputs like optical input or coax input on marantz,i will be using the built in DAC in marantz?because the signal is coming into the marantz's digital inputs?

But in my situation my sound card decodes the signal first (as DTS or DOLBY) and then it sends it to the marantz optical input via optical cable.Even with this configuration,will i atill be using the marantz built in DAC?

Note:when i make the signal decoded by sound card as DTS  and send that signal to my pioneer vsx 921 avr via optical cable,the avr shows the signal as DTS on its screen.

The Yamaha also has an onboard stereo DAC and a bit more power than the Marantz.  Will it sound more powerful?  Maybe.  If both Marantz and Yamaha specs are true, then the Yamaha will offer more headroom at about 3dB and maybe more dynamic headroom.  You may or may not hear that difference.

Bill