Surround speaker height

Alphafighter

Hi All,

How high should i place my surround speakers?  I read somewhere that it should be about 2 ft above ear level, and some saying that just like front speakers at ear level??

I read Klipsch manual saying that "Klipsch WDST surround speakers should be placed approximately 2 feet above the listening position. Typically this will be about 5-7 feet above the floor. The surrounds should be placed on the walls directly adjacent to the listening position". I am using R-15m as my surround speaker, so should I just put them at ear level (directly adjacent)?

Thank you.

@Alphafighter,

Welcome to the forum.

I have found that 2-3ft above ears while sitting is ideal for surround speakers.

1 hour ago, Alphafighter said:

I am using yamaha receiver, and after I used YPAO to set it up, i cannot feel any surroundness

For movie soundtracks, you may not until info gets sent to the surrounds in high action scenes.  Maybe occasional ambient sounds but not continuous full time sound.  For multichannel music listening in some of the DSP settings geared for music, you most definitely should feel "surroundness".

1 hour ago, Alphafighter said:

should i just turn up the surround level?

You may if you want get an SPL meter and run test tones from your main seating position and adjust accordingly and see(hear) if that helps.

Bill 

Try sending test tones thru all the speaker and check the spl with a meter.  If all the speakers are approximately 75 db with the MV of -30, setup should be good.  Next, select some movies with good surround effects.  Star Wars, The Force As Awaken, Olympus Hall Fallen, The Incredible Hulk, The Underword Series of movies and Resident Evil series.  In general, you should not need to jack the surround volume up.

8 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

Try sending test tones thru all the speaker and check the spl with a meter.  If all the speakers are approximately 75 db with the MV of -30, setup should be good.  Next, select some movies with good surround effects.  Star Wars, The Force As Awaken, Olympus Hall Fallen, The Incredible Hulk, The Underword Series of movies and Resident Evil series.  In general, you should not need to jack the surround volume up.

Thank you derrick.  do i test with meter directly in front of each speaker or my sitting position? does MV stand for Main Volume??   sorry i am a newbie to HT :P, thank you.

Just now, Alphafighter said:

because i don't have an spl meter at home, so I just downloaded an app....

and at MV30, db is around 40ish.... what should i do next? :unsure:  thank you.

11 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

everything for spl is at the main listening position.  All the speakers should 73 measure 76 db at the main listening position.  If they meet this requirement, then setup is OK.

because i don't have an spl meter at home, so I just downloaded an app....

and at MV30, db is around 40ish.... what should i do next? :unsure:  thank you.

It all depend on how the avr works.  -30 MV is roughly 70 to 73 db on the avr.  When you go into setup and play the test tones, it should correlate to -30 MV or 75 db.  These numbers don't have to be exact but, should be close.  Cell phone apps are not very good and a analog spl meter can be purchase at Radio Shack, Best Buy or similar store.  Auto-calibration should set all the speakers to be roughly 75 db at the MLP.  Pink noise needs to be used in these test and not some tone at a set frequency.