Talking to Keith

m00n

Hey TalkToKeith.....

you recently wrote to me in a different thread

quote:

m00n, you idiot! Just kidding!! Remember Sound & Vision's review of the Reference speakers using two pair of RS-7's recently? Another thing, you would have no adjustment of the different pairs of surrounds in the setup you propose. Good luck anyway!

What month was that article? I tried to find it on thier web site with no luck. I very much want to read it....

Thanks

m00n

------------------

Klipsch Gear (Proud to be 100% Klipsch)s>c>

* FRONTS: RF-7* CENTER: RC-7* SURROUNDS: RS-7* REAR: RC-7* SUB: RSW-12 / RSW-15 (feel the sonic waves)c>s>

Harman Kardon Gears>c>

* RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520* AMPLIFIER: Harman kardon PA4000* DVD: Harman Kardon DVD-50(DD, DTS)s>c>

Video Gears>c>

* InFocus ScreenPlay 110 DLP Projectors>c>

Computer and Game Gears>c>

* PC Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 4.1* Microsoft XBOX with Monster cable for that 5.1 Dolby Digitial surroundc>

s>f>

Boa....

I decided to just go with one RC7 for now. If I had bought both, I would not have had to either pass up the RSW-15 or not get my amp. Well, I could have got my amp, but I would have had to put it on credit and I didn't want to do that.

I am bummed, I just got a call from my H/K rep and he said that my amp wont be here until next week. icon16.gif

But ya, the amp has 2 inputs (not 4). Each input can power up to 4 speaks each. Or you can have one input and power all 8 outputs on one signal... Not sure if that sounds like something i would do but I guess if you needed it.

Also, I did confirm with my sales rep that YES, you can re-assign channels. He started to go into it but I said, wow wow wow... Hold on... Nevermind...cwm31.gif I will worry about it later. Let me take my baby steps first and get it going with just the one speaker first.

DAMN... I really wanted that amp by Friday. Having some friends over again this weekend and wanted that rear...

------------------

* FRONTS: RF-7* CENTER: RC-7* SURROUNDS: RS-7* REAR: RC-7* SUB: RSW-12 / RSW-15 (feel the sonic waves)c>s>

Harman Kardon Gears>c>

* RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520* AMPLIFIER: Harman kardon PA4000* DVD: Harman Kardon DVD-50(DD, DTS)s>c>

Video Gears>c>

* PC Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 4.1* Microsoft XBOX with Monster cable for that 5.1 Dolby Digitial surroundc>

s>f>

This message has been edited by m00n on 09-25-2002 at 05:36 PM

Ya, I know what your saying, but he said that the instructions on how to do that is NOT in the manual for some reason.

Heh, but he could wrong. However, someone in the HomeTheaterForum told me it was possible.

I am not too worried about it anyway. I guess someday when I have nothing better to do I will call them up and get detailed instructions. I figure it this way. If I don't mess with it, I can blow it up.Wink.gif

I know your looking @ the watts on that receiver and thinking only 75 watts. But let me tell you the high current makes up for it. Oh belive me, this thing ROX! cwm4.gif I have no performance issues with it at all.

------------------

Harman Kardon Gears>c>

Video Gears>c>

s>f>

This message has been edited by m00n on 09-25-2002 at 05:55 PM

Plus... I just can't get the image of having 5 or 6 RC7s out of my head. 4 on the sides and either 1 or 2 in the back.

I can vividly see walking into my theater, 4 side surrounds on the walls mounted vertically so they are standing on end and tops slightly tiled down towards the seating... Just like in public theaters...

GAWD damn that would be sweet! cwm11.gif

------------------

Harman Kardon Gears>c>

Video Gears>c>

s>f>

if you have 4 surround speaks taking up the 4 inputs, where do you plug your butt shakers? i myself have never used those. Redface.gif

i don't think that jim on the HT forum knew what you were asking either. there's no idication on the back of the 520 & by the speaker terminals on where to hook the rear surround speaks instead of the front speaks. not in the manual? sounds fishy to me. Wink.gif

can't believe there aren't any HK 520 owners/users on here that know for sure. i'll do a post in HT & see. just to clear it up for my own curiousity. Wink.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

LOL!

That's funny Boa... You are more interested than I am. Actually I would like to know myself if you get an answer. I just don't have the time and energy right now to try and find out. As I mentioned I will be happy just getting the amp/receiver/1 rear working for now. cwm1.gif

Buttshakers... Well... it depends. I have seen the actual ButtKicker brand and they need something like 1000 watts or some crazy power requirement which the PA4000 can't push anyway. There are other brands though that require a LOT less power. But if I am not mistaken 1 buttkicker will replace at least 4 other non-buttkicker brand of transducers.

You REALLY need to experiance transducers. They are so cool. It just makes the movie come alive.

------------------

Harman Kardon Gears>c>

Video Gears>c>

s>f>

quote:

Originally posted by sunbeam64:

m00n,

The Sound & Vision review ref'd by Keith maybe the one featured in the May 02 issue.

How you mounting the rear RC-7?

Thanks sunbeam

How am I mounting it. Well, nice and sturdy I hope. cwm1.gif

Actually I built a little platform that had a bottom and a back. The back is lag bolted to a window header. I just hope it is string enough. I have to admit that I am still a bit leary of it. That speaker is mega heavy.

If it falls, m00n will turn into a 4 year old and cry for about 20 minuts and pout for about a month. I somehow doubt that a speaker falling about 8' to the floor is going to be covered under warranty.

I don't want to cry. So I am going to figure out a way to re-inforce it even better that I already have.

------------------

Harman Kardon Gears>c>

Video Gears>c>

s>f>

m00n, want to watch that. i had a C7 slide off the front of my ent. cabinet top & it did some damage to the ent cabinet & the speaker cabinet.

what i did was buy 2 bendable L brackets from the hardware store. for get what they're called exactly, but they're the lil 2-dimensional L brackets that are i think brass so bendable.

then screw those into the shelf top near its front so the the speker will rest on top & the rising part of the L will catch the speaker cabinet front underneath the grille away from the drivers (more toward the center horn). you'll want to have bended the rising part slightly forward if the speaker is angling down.

also, i spray painted the exposed part of the L black & it blends right into the speaker front.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 09-25-2002 at 08:42 PM

Hehe.. Nice eyes there boa... And thanks for the heads up. I had actually planned on something like that when I had thought about tilting the tray so I could angle the speaker. Then I rembered that the two back feet were adjustable, so I figured I would not need to worry about a brace to keep the speaker from slipping because I would not be tilting the tray. But from what it sounds like from you, it is still possible for it to slip off.

Ok... extra protection it is. Thanks for the heads up!icon7.gif

------------------

Harman Kardon Gears>c>

Video Gears>c>

s>f>

quote:

Originally posted by boa12:

or, or option 2 would be to attach wire or something around the speakers' rear legs & to strong hooks or something in the wall or shelf behind.

Oohh... I like that idea.

------------------

Harman Kardon Gears>c>

Video Gears>c>

s>f>

Yes, I'm here boa! Been working a lot and got somewhat disinterested. Thanks for the thought!

As sunbeam said m00n,the article was in the May issue of S&V. Pretty high opinion of the RS-7 system from them. The full Reference system was set up in a 22 X 16 foot room, using 2 pr. of RS-7's and a B&K AVR 307. I personally would go with boa's recs and use 1 pr RS-7's and 1 RC-7 for SB. I originally was going to use 2 pr of S-6's but after trying one pair I decided two pair would be overkill in MY room.

Good luck with your experiment. Let us know how it turns out.

Keith

Hey thanks TTK.cwm1.gif I will see if I can find it.

------------------

Harman Kardon Gears>c>

Video Gears>c>

s>f>