Kelly

Deang

My gut reaction is to stick with what you have. I think the SLP-50 will have less warmth than your current preamp. There are two versions so you need to identify the exact one. It's a beautiful little preamp but I suspect your current AE-3 to have a more harmonically rich sound.

Are you not happy with the AE-3 DJH?

kh

edit: I know you bought this preamp from Ed. As I remember, it has the Audio 1 oil caps, from what I understand, this can be bettered by Jensen or Audio Note Copper Foil Oils.

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-25-2002 at 11:37 AM

The AE-3 isn't going anywhere.

I'm thinking about a tube preamp to go with the Aragon 4004 MKII and DQ's in the event the G.A.S. Thalia proves to be excessively bright with the Aragon.

I've been keeping my eyes open just to make sure I don't miss a good deal.

The Thalia will probably match up well in the system. I'm just keeping my back covered. I would just sell one of the units after I decide which one I like in the system.

It was impossible for me to pass up the Thalia when it showed up on AudiogoN for $350, brand new, in an un-opened box. I have extensive experience with that preamp. It served me for over 10 years in my Luxman/Magnepan system. Very warm signature for solid state.

This message has been edited by deang on 09-25-2002 at 11:41 AM

I remember when you got the Thalia. Personally, I really think a good tube preamp would REALLY be a far better option for that system. Like I said, and I dont even really have much love for Audio Research products, but when I heard the Audio Research SP-8 with good tubes mated to a really nice Threshold 100w pure Class A amp into the DQ-10, I thought it was a very good match, especially for classical (this was an analog only system back in the 80s).

I personally ran tube preamps with any solid state amp I had on hand much prefering the sound. I had some nice solid state preamps including units from PS Audio and SUMO. I never listened to them again after turning to tubes.

I would go with a tube preamp with this setup. Based on the components, I think it would really need it.

kh

All good things come to those who wait...and are quick on the keyboard.

Stock AE-3

Red Base 5692's

Guess since I'm not "afraid" of my soldering iron anymore -- I can stick some Jenson's in there myself at some point.

I did finally break down and buy a nice 35 watt Weller. The tip on that thing is awesome.

Also, Mdeneen and Craig are right. The Kester 44 is fantastic.

This message has been edited by deang on 09-25-2002 at 04:20 PM