Denon 1600 Review, and another question

Orange Peel

Well I tested out the 1600 lastnight with the Panic Room, looked great, didn't notice the chroma bug like I did with the 2800. I really didn't notice a layer swap either, I'll test out a few more movies on it.

I have to read up on the manual and check out what some of the setting do, like DVD-Movie setup, not sure what that is but I turned it on 1.gif I didn't even want to go into the speaker placement and what not. So far this player looks pretty nice, my only beef with it was the lack of digital inputs, like coax, etc, it just has one Optical in.

Now for the question....

When I was watching the movie lastnight, and this was with the 2800 as well, the movie can tend to look pixelized/grainy/I don't know what. It's clear when the objects are moving, but when the picture is kinda still, and there isn't much action on the screen, it looks like when you pause the movie. You can see the individual pixels and color differences, damn this is hard to explain. I don't sit very far from the TV right now due to the setup, when I move in the new house it will be further back from the TV, so I won't notice it as much. It's like looking at your monitor in a low resolution I guess you can put it. Is there a way to up the resolution on the WS-65869? When the TV turns on and the DVD player sends the signal it says "480p Standard", is there another 480p setting?

Maybe I'm just super anal and really need to tweak the TV or something, please some one assure me that it's normal and I need to relax and enjoy it more 2.gif

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I had the opportunity to get the Panisonic RP-91 yesterday too, but I didn't know anything about that player, chroma bug, etc. Is the Denon 1600 just as good? Like same feautures?

Not sure about the settings on your TV, but if you're interested in a more technical review of the 1600, check out www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_2/denon-dvd-1600-6-2002.html as well as its on-going progressive player shootout and benchmark tests; the RP91 is also featured at that same site: www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_8_3/dvd-benchmark-progressive-shootout-2-8-2001.html , though it did not fair as well in some of the video performance tests as the 1600 did.

I noticed you mentioned not seeing any layer change. Again from hometheater hifi, they had this to say about Panic Room: "Like all previous Superbit discs, this one includes a "seamless" layer break (no visible pause between layer changes). The DVD spec calls for a "non-seamless" layer break, so officially this disc is out of spec, as are all Superbit discs. However, Sony has made a huge PR win by choosing to author with a seamless layer break. What does this mean? It means that no matter which DVD player you own, you will not see the layer change occur. Why is non-seamless the standard? Apparently, the authoring system back when the spec was completed could not reliably author a seamless layer break. Rumor has it other studios will be putting seamless layer breaks shortly."

I never realized the layer change was an authoring issue. How does the 1600 handle "normal" layer breaks?

- Jason

Guys, the Denon 1600 does have layer changes that are noticable, however for its price point it's probably one of the best at handling it. It's only until you get into MEGA-expensive DVD players that layer change is practically non-existent.

As far as Paninc Room showing grain? I didn't see that much grain on my system, however the dark setting and environment would show grain much easier if any did exist. Another thing to consider is your new TV. It's going through a sort of RPTV puberty. It thinks its all grown up, but that puppy still has some breaking in to do before it reaches adulthood.

Scott, you've got a great home theater system. My advise is relax on whether or not you made the right decision on equipment and sit back and enjoy. After several hundred hours of use - start TWEAKINNG!

Thanks Ranger, I needed some reassurance 2.gif

I haven't really noticed the layer changes on any movies so far, so it seems to be doing a very good job at it. I'm really pleased with the 1600, probably the best DVD player out there in that price range! Like I said, my only beef with it was the Optical output only, but I haven't heard anything I didn't like yet from the $79.95 Fiber Optic Monster Cable I bought with it, so that makes me feel better 1.gif

----------------

On 9/30/2002 3:58:43 PM Orange Peel wrote:

... my only beef with it was the Optical output only, but I haven't heard anything I didn't like yet from the $79.95 Fiber Optic Monster Cable I bought with it ...

----------------

$80 for a TOSLINK seems a bit pricey. Monster is okay, however there are other TOSLINK's available for almost half the price but with equal performance parameters (just not as pretty). Best Buy sells Acoustic Research TOSLINK for $19.99 for 3' and $29.99 for 12'. I once had Monster, but three hours later returned it for AR. Absolutely NO difference in sound (just price). It wouldn't hurt to check it out and save $60 in the process.

has the unnoticable layer swap become the dvdp test standard? sounds similar to the receiver doesn't pop when switched or hiss when turned all the way up. 1.gif

iow, don't let any of these be your main evaluation criteria. the layer change is in the material. depends a lot more on the material how noticable it is, unless the player is real bad or malfunctioning. it happens on real high end dvdp just the same from my experience.

2.gif