EICO HF-81 Phono Section Tube Choice?

No Disc

Fickly forum; I was unable to edit the above post. I have yet to figure out the fickle nature here.

I would like to add, the only thing I really can criticize the MMF series of tables is the choice to have a DEDICATED tonearm. I think this is their main flaw in this field. Yes, it is nice to have a turnkey table and I realize that is their main market. And yes, money is saved with this approach; unfortunately, it kills the chance to really upgrade to better arms out there and believe me, there are better options, such as the Origin Live Rega-250 or Incognito RB-300, both relatively inexpensive and with these upgrades, truly excellent arms. I imagine MMF owners will probably move to other options if vinyl becomes a main source or THE source. Still, the option to upgrade the tonearm is a plus in making table selection. At least the tonearm supplied is an ok arm from what I have read.

kh

This avatar thing is interesting ... I'm just kind of lost as to what to throw in there ... Fall is breaking out around here; maybe I'll throw in some nice foliage shots? :)

Ed, btw, I forwarded you a note from Walter saying he'd be happy to cut you the same deal he gave me, so I assume this would apply to all the others who may have an interest in trying that table. But if Ed could get up there and give us a MMF-5, MMF-7 (against whatever he's got in his "shop"), that would be great. I just went with the -7 because it looked like a clean design and the turnkey thing would work well for me while I was still in my vinyl training wheels stage.

Off-topic slightly ... but I'm working at home today and have had the little Eico running all day, so it's good and warmed up. Anyway, the home office is right off the living room where the Klipschorns live.

I finally got around to Foreplay's "Between the Sheets" ... When it got to Track 9, "Summer Child", I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Pulled me right out of my office chair and slammed me down into the sweet spot.

Dang, it had to be close to a perfect recording. Piano, chimes, bells, and then the bass starts walking in .... And the acoustic guitar starts a really nice melody.

Honestly to G o d, I don't think I've ever heard the Eico/Klipschorns sound better. Talk about live and sweet ... and so REAL. The bass just gently fills the room. And then the vocal by Nathan East swoops in Al Jarreau style. Unbelieveable.

I wish I could describe music like Kelly does, but I just found all those other "little hairs" that had been MIA.

Wish this recording was available in LP ... but if any of you guys have this recording but haven't listened to it since upgrading your system, check it out!