Receiver Pairing

RobJob

I am very new to the home theatre world, but am looking forward to getting it going. A few weeks back I found a great deal on a Pioneer VSX-LX101 receiver and looking for speakers to pair. A buddy of mine recommended I go Klipsch. I’ve already got an R-10SWi sub and R-25C center speaker. I was looking into the R-14M bookshelf speakers but not sure it will be a match due to the wattage. The receiver delivers 80 w/channel and the speakers are rated at 50 watt continuous with 200 watt peak. Both have impedence of 8ohms. Would this be a safe match or do I need a higher rated speaker? Thanks in advance. 

Edited by RobJob

• Moderators

Welcome

You will be fine, you could use 200 wpc if you want. 

The idea is NO clipping the amp, this ruins speakers. (turning them up until they distort). 

It's better to have  more watts than needed to lessen the chance of pushing the amp to hard causing the speakers problems. Compare this to a car radio, you can play it loud but after a certain point you're only adding distortion and it quickly sounds bad. Same thing

• Like 1

At 80 W/ch you should be fine with any Klipsch speaker. Recommend KG4's or Forte's WITH Crites' diaphragms. Also ... strongly recommend hooking up a second vintage amp (such as a Marantz 22** series) to your setup to get "real sound."

Cheers, Emile