Suggest a Receiver for five KG 1.5 Speakers

RevKev12

On 11/22/2017 at 11:01 PM, RevKev12 said:

Hello,

I have five Klipsch KG 1.5 speakers and I was looking for some guidance regarding which type of receiver I should buy. From my understanding, these speakers use 50 watts of power with a peak of 200 watts. I listen to music pretty loudly, so I assume I am using more than 50  watts of power. 

Do you have any suggestions on how many watts my receiver should be able to handle? 

Thank you very much in advance for your help

I think you mean the speakers CAN HANDLE 50 watts CONTINUOUS power, and 200 watts PEAK.

Any 5 channel A/V receiver producing 50 watts/channel into 8 ohm loads (read the specs) should be fine.

Your problem is likely you're trying to reproduce high BASS LEVELS through your kg 1.5's, and killing the amp section of your receiver.

You need to purchase a powered subwoofer (as a college student, see the used market such as craigslist). If you purchase an A/V receiver, you can usually set it up so that only the low frequencies are directed to the subwoofer, and only higher frequencies to the kg 1.5's (satellites). With the receiver being relieved of trying to provide enough low frequency output to the 1.5's, you'll be able to play them louder without sucking your receiver dry. But you really won't need to play them louder; the low frequency energy you're craving will easily be supplied by the subwoofer.

That's my suggestion.

If you weren't a poor college student, the forum membership would suggest you buy any of the many, highly efficient Klipsch speakers, particularly of the Heritage series such as the Heresy or LaScala, and your problem would be solved!