Picked up a beautiful SC-3 center speaker today!

wuzzzer

Many moons ago I remember @Cal Blacksmith starting a thread about how the SC-1 center speaker was such a good match to the forte Is he was using.  I ended up buying one after that and definitely was impressed at how well it worked with the forte IIs I had at the time.  I remember wondering how the SC-1's big brother, the SC-3, would fare since it would be a big upgrade over the SC-1.  I didn't have the SC-1 very long since my setup at the time didn't allow for a good spot to place a center speaker and I didn't want to redo everything else just to accommodate it.

Well, last night I happened upon an online listing for someone selling an SC-3 for a very reasonable price.  I contacted them today and made arrangements to pick it up.  The pictures they took were poor and they didn't really describe the physical condition but I figured I'd take a gamble.  Well, to my surprise this speaker is as mint as when it came from the factory!  There are no blemishes or imperfections anywhere that I could find.  I was extremely happy, definitely the nicest used speaker I've ever purchased.  I haven't seen an SC-3 for sale in a very long time and couldn't pass it up!

I got it home and opened it up to see what was all going on inside.  For being from the 'low end' Synergy series this speaker is built incredibly well.  Dual 6.5" woofers and a 1" aluminum tweeter in a tractrix horn.  97dB sensitivity.  I know specs on paper don't correlate to real-world performance but everything I enjoyed about the SC-1 should be here plus more.

Tomorrow I'll be getting my rebuilt KG4 networks back from Bob Crites so I'll get everything dialed in and see how it all works.

20171126_191601.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, this center is impressive!  Amazing dialogue clarity and blends extremely well with my KG4s.

Watching Star Wars VII and am very, very pleased.

Unfortunately this center was only made for one year so they rarely come up for sale compared to it's little brother the SC-1.  Forgot to mention - I paid $50 for it!  ☺ ☺