Additional speakers for existing set

MrElk

I currently have a pair of KG-4's and KG-1's that I bought back in 89 and 91. I want to add a sub and surrounds. The two sets are used on different systems now, with the 4's being used for my TV/stereo. I am looking for suggestions on how to best utilize what I have with something new.

MrElk,

I would use the KG4 and KG1 together in the same set-up. I have the KG1s as surrounds with my KG 5.5s and they are terrific. I suspect your KG4 will sound great with them as a nice integrated HT system. Get yourself a center channel (I think the KV2 or KV3 is the right one for the KG4, but you'll have to look in the used market).

T-man

• 2 weeks later...

For a sub you could go with a KLF-10, 12, or 15. It just depends on your budget and thirst for bass. I use KLF-10's, but I am not parched enough for 12's or 15's... yet.

Any of these will supplement the KG-4's with noticeably more bass.

------------------

RF-3's : mains

RC-3 : center

RS-3's : surrounds

KSW10 X 2 : subwoofers

Receiver: Denon 2801

DVD: Panasonic DVD-A120

CD: Yamaha CDC-765

Cables: Tributaries

Sat Receiver: Hughes Direct-TV DD5.1

Hi MrElk - I, too, have KG4s and have loved them since I bought them new in '85. The bass goes quite low for a speaker of it's size. That rear passive radiator really does it. Who'd expect that much out of dual 8" woofers!

I have used a 10" sub (JBL) with my KG4s, and to be honest, it was hard to tell if it was working. If you want rumble-your-chest-and-couch type of bass, you'll need a 12" or better. I've heard lots of people are happy with the KSW-12. I now have a 12" sub, but not a Klipsch - found mine very cheaply so couldn't pass it up.

I also used a KV-3 center with my KG-4s.