Biamping Khorns?? Brightness from my Adcom amp

jweeda

Just got a pair of 1994 Khorns, love them, but have a couple of questions.

I'm now running them through a 200 watt Adcom amp. Khorns seem to be very stong in the high end, I know a tube amp would quiet this down. In the meantime, could I power the bass bins off the Adcom, and power the high end off my Sony ES receiver? Would this tame them down a bit? In the future, I could go with a tube amp to run the highs. Would I just run the Sony ES directly to the Klipsch factory wire leads which normally fed into the high end plugs on the back of the bass bin? Hope I make sense!!16.gif

Is the problem that the horns are shrill or that the horns are revealing high frequency content you are simply not used to hearing ?

If the problem actually is shrillnes then consider this:

The odds are that the shrillness which you find so bothersome is related to your amplifier. If the Sony is smoother in the mids and highs you may hear an improvement but my advice would be to not biamp and to try the Sony by itself and see if the sound is satisfying to you before muddying the waters by biamping.

While it is true that the Horns can sound very nice indeed with a quality SS amp - quality tube amps make the Horns sing.