Q-man...need your input, re

HDBRbuilder

Q-man,

I have been considering building up a Klason and Strange folded horn. See the following site:

http://baseportal.de/baseportal?htx=/data/exdreamaudio/bauplaene

I am looking building the version II, but with modifications, that bring its sides down to the floor, and add a bottom between the sides, and a back that extends all the way down to the added bottom panel. My intent is to test this as a base for a large-screen tv...and use it as a bassbin center-channel speaker. What do you think?

My big concern is that I am not sure if this particular design, in its current state, is supposed to be reflective in its soundpath from the rear wall, OR if it is supposed to channel the sound forward and to each side around the "V" underneath it...or BOTH!!

What do you think?

It appears that the rear wall is a side-to-side reflective medium for it, and that the sound from a single source is then channeled from that reflection, forward under it out to each side...or something like that. How it actually disperses sound will determine how the added base to it will have to be built...and I am getting kinda antsy trying to figure it out!! LOL!

IOW...I don't know if I need to include a horn flare rate in the added base to either side, or if I can just have straight sides....AND, I don't know if I will need to extend the added rear piece of the base rearward, in order to simulate a wall reflecting it forward and to the sides.

I appreciate any input you may have on this. Look at it, think about it...and give me your thoughts, please!! Thanks!!

For some odd reason, when I read the address for that site on my server, and then when I type it right back in, it comes up a different page...who knows? Anyway, I sent a link to Q-man last nite...and maybe we can figure out how to get into that site with a link I can post to the forum here...but so far I haven't figured out how to do it.

If you go to that site and click on the line for the particular speaker design, you will be sent to its location, then click on the "bild" pages and you will find the pics. Also, once you get to the particular speaker site, if you scroll down far enough, there is often a pic of it there.

Q-man has the info now...had one helluuva time getting a link to him, but maybe we will be able to read his input sometime soon. :)

I see that worked real good.

Anyway, that basshorn does look like it may have real potential for use as a center channel speaker that you could put your tv on. It could serve some theater rooms well. It's about 49" wide, 24" deep and 21" high. I like version 2 because of it's less severe folding of the horn.

Someday I'll have to build one and see or hear what it sounds like. If you get to it before me, share your notes.

I'll try to post some drawings and modification ideas later. I bought the Jasc Paint Shop Pro 7 software yesterday. It came recommended by some fellow board members. My goal is to learn how to use it so I can post pictures and drawings.

Q-man,

You know?...a thought just occurred to me about that horn...if it was built like we discussed...with the base added to it...but then FLIPPED OVER!!!...so that the wedge-shaped thingie that would normally be UNDER it, was ABOVE it...and something like a Heresy tweeter and midrange were thrown into that wedge thingie (as you mentioned in your re-do of the drawing)...well...are you following me on this?...then the mids and highs would be at low ear level (for a seated listener) instead of way down low at floor level, and having to be aimed upwards!!!!! The only real problem I can see in flipping the whole contraption over is that the basshorn part would not be on the floor itself...and that MAY detract from its performance somewhat...in carrying its bass along the floor itself...just a thought!! 1.gif

Justin,

Thanks...it seems this basshorn design is in the bottom octave of the musical spectrum, then...which means it would likely require a high-bass/subsquawker supplement in addition to a squawker and tweeter layout. I am sure the inherent resonance in it could be solved through some trial and error in build changes/reinforcements...like maybe using a router and a mortising jig to mortise the interior parts into the upper and lower panels tightly, instead of just using butt-joints with them....and possibly adding some reinforcement around the port opening...It is still an interesting design and has some definite possibilities in the HT venue, IMHO.

As a matter of fact, it MAY be just the thing for a HT set-up using a pair of Heresys immediately adjacent to its sides, when a large television is set atop it...hmmmm....or immediately adjacent to the sides of the large television itself, which will sit atop it!! 2.gif

The bass bin design looks like a nice setup but I am wondering what it would do to the TV itself. If it will go down to 30 Hz I'm guessing that it would severely vibrate the chassis of the TV, possibly causing long-term problems with PCB's and causing any cold solder joints to head for the cliffs like lemmings. Kind of like strapping a TV on a Harley-Davidson Sportster: at some point the fasteners are going to fall out! If you build this you may want to re-engineer in some vibration control.

Well...I guess I will never know about the vibration factor until I build up one of them. it appears that the vibration may not be an issue though...since the design is a folded horn and NOT a ported design. I mean...look at it this way...when a horn is folded instead of being a ported enclosure, and the directivity of the horn is considerdd, then the vibration wil not be in the cabinet body itself, but will be projected TOWARD some other point...to reinforce this factor, just stand in front of a k-horn with it cranking...and put your hand on the front of the bass bin...no vibrations...or not anything to speak of...it is the mouth of the horn that PROJECTS its directivity, not the cabinet itself which vibrates Then, again, this particular design is NOT in a sealed enclosure as the k-horn bass bin is...and it also fires the horn off the rear of the driver, with the driver firing forward out of the cabinet...so there may be some vibration there...who knows? Gotta give it a build to test it out!! Even if i does have vibration in the cabinet itself, a supplemental cabinet can surround it and still hold the tv above it...with insulation between the two...until I build one, we won't know for sure!! I will try to start on this project sometime this winter...if time permits!!