KSW-12 BOTTOMING OUT?

orbanus

I have a KSW-12 that sometimes makes a loud pop sound when I'm watching a DVD. On LOTR the opening scene where (Sarron) gets his finger cut off, just as the ring goes up in the air and lands on the ground, "POP". Now my sub never did this before. Even during Monsters, Inc "POP" Its like it can't handle a sharp bass punch anymore unless I turn down my sub and reduce LFE signal. Any Ideas? Do I have to return it for warranty service, its only a couple of years old?

THis may be your amplifier clipping,as like 101 said you would hear a crunch if the driver bottoms out.I did bottom out a LF10 and it was a nasty crunch.Klipsch said it was only clipping,well when I puched the dust cap in the center the voice coil was rubbing on the magnetic structure! OUCH

Anyway if the sub is under warranty have it checked.

My subs never POP or CRUNCH they ROCK N ROLL 3.gif

Yes most(if not all)powered subs have a form of more or less advanced clipping protection.Only the very best limiters(anti clipping circuits)prevent audible clipping.

Remember Klipsch LF10? Well I made my sample clip and bottom a nasty way,the driver was shot!Well it a bit my fault I took Klipsch claims for the sub too much to heart and wanted to see(hear)how it compares to my trusted and old workhorse the Sufire Mark II(still kicking major a$$ as I post this!,almost 3 years old now and going strong).

The RSW have great clipping protection and the RSW15 is no slouch,it has both great amp power and cone area to move plenty of air even at lower output(amp output that is).Lesser subs run out of steam rather fast thank you.

Lets take for example the tiny Sunfire Signature and Velodyne SPL800,both great micro subs,I can make them kneel and cry around 102dB around 30Hz with ease.Now take the Sunfire Signature or SPL1200 and you will notice your ears will start to strain before the subs crap out.

With the RSW15,Velo HGS18,Revel B15,SVS and Aerial SW12 the limits are well over most users enurance. 2.gif So you will almost never hear them clip audibly.