Subwoofer suggestion.

KA1J

1 hour ago, KA1J said:

After listening to the replies and looking at reviews (thank you for your replies), I decided to settle on one of the new SVS SB-4000. It had quite a few and varied options to adjust its characteristics to the existing sound system, even one that works with Android. My McIntosh has 75W per channel and that is plenty and as an acoustic musician I am more into linear sound than hearing a pop at any certain frequency, be that ultra low or otherwise. The ported version would be wonderful, I'm sure, but from my past experience with ported speakers, they can hang and add an artificial character to lower notes. Having the sub be crisp and efficient at lowest frequencies to mate with my existing speakers will fit better with my library which has no electronic music other than amplified instruments (most are acoustic, sans amplifiers).

I'm sure I'd be happy with any of the Subwoofers, including the R115SW, it was the ability to alter the characteristics wirelessly, on the fly that made the difference.

Cheers!

You don't get off the hook THAT easy!

We need a review once you get the sub!

LOL it's a deal, once I get it set-up and have learned how to adjust it properly for my listening space, I will give my opinion.  I don't have a lot of experience and I'm sure other's ears will hear better than mine but I do know music and know how to set up a sound system for an acoustic band. 

And thanks again for the thoughts and opinions.

Cheers!

Folks, I'm going to have to renege a little on that exact promise...

I gave a lot of thought as to what I'm looking for and while I have a really fine stereo, I also want to enjoy somewhat of a theater experience. I did some afterthought and though I will be 12' from the speakers & the room is 17' wide, there's another 12' behind me making the entire room 3536 cubic feet. Add to that that there's a kitchen at one corner, a hallway at the same corner, an open door to the basement (have a cat with a box down there...), I have just a lot of space that will affect the one subwhoofer. The one SB-4000 will surely be an assist but it's not enough. I decided Ported would be a better choice & thought about one PB16 Ultra but at 175 pounds, it weighs too much for me to jocky around, finding the sweet spot for it to live. Considering how tall my pairs of speakers are I decided on two PC-4000 which will compliment the almost 7' high speaker stack.

I contacted SVS , cancelled the first order and will be getting the PC-4000 pair next week. I'll have to give you a report on how these are instead. :D