Finished damaged on Cherry RSW-15

Schmidty

I got a friend whose Dad owns a pretty big dance club. He had a live band one night and wanted to use my RSW-15 for more bass. He said he would put it where no one could damage it and he took full responsibility for it so I let him.

I got to the club before closing and saw them sitting next to the bar with a pitcher on it! To say the least I was upset.

Right now I have rings where the pitchers were sitting, drip marks where the finish came off, and a few scratch marks.

My question is how to repair them. If anyone has any ideas please help.

Thanks,

Schmidty

7.gif7.gif7.gif7.gif7.gif7.gif7.gif7.gif7.gif7.gif7.gif7.gif7.gif7.gif7.gif

I would be at the point of killing! no, j/k lol. I would say collect some money off of him, and bring it to a finishing shop. the only way to fix that is to get it re-veneered, which means stripping the old veneer, and puting new stuff on. I use my SF-2's, 1's, and RSW-15 as a whole set to DJ with too, and I am extremely carful not to let anything to happen to them, or let anyone happen to them.

The real wood finish is very very thin on the RSW15,as it is on the Reference series Klipsch.If the top has only minor scratches use some wood scratch removed(to hid them)if the scratches are major go get the family 450cc chainsaw and go get some pay back.

This is why I NEVER EVER lend anyone any of my gear,well unless they also let me try their high end gear.

Ask some "experts" at Home Depot how to eliminate(hide)the scratches.I am not any expert in this field.Ah get the chain saw out 3.gif

It will not need new veneer, but will need to be light sanded and relacquered. I am not a wood finishing expert, but a local furniture repair shop should be able to handle this.

I am really sorry to say this, but it seems retarded to let home stuff be used in a enviorment like that 6.gif However, it was nice of you and your friend promiced to take care of it, so that is the real fact here, not the last sentence.

Just to this: Next time you are in a club or whatever, go to the stage and wipe your finger 1 foot across the floor. You will feel a bunch of dirt/sand-stuff. That is what the stuff comes in contact with.

Well, I hope you can find a cheap, effective way to get your speakers back to normal. HEY! You could refinish them in another finish and have a one of a kind Klipsch! Do it!

If the finish on your speaker is an oil finish instead of a laquer finish, then take a soft, clean rag that is DAMPENED in alcohol (NOT SOAKED, mind you, but DAMPENED...MOIST), and rub across the finish with it gently back and forth...the rings from the water stains may just disappear...if they do, then give it a VERY LIGHT sanding with a very fine grit sandpaper(320 grit)and re-apply an oil to it. Pretty simple fix. Then send your buddy a bill...he still owes you...no matter WHO fixes the speaker...and learn a lesson from this...don't do it again!!

HDBR...

No more oil finish. That sub has Lacquer finish and it will be damaged by alcohol rubdown.

Under the veneer is 3/4" MDF and on the inside of that is more veneer. The double veneer keeps the cabinets from warping from changes in humidity and temperature over long periods of time. Another unique feature of Klisch!

BobG,

"The double veneer keeps the cabinets from warping from changes in humidity and temperature over long periods of time. Another unique feature of Klipsch!"

LOL

NO ITS NOT UNIQUE TO KLIPSCH DUH

Dynaudio uses double veneer in the Contour series and up,with much thicker and higher quality finish.The Klipsch finish looks and feels like paper covering compared to the durable and gorgeous Rosewood or Bird Eye Maple.The Dynaudio finish has a 3D depth to it! LOL

BobG sorry to bust up the party before it starts.

3.gif

I know a thing or two about audio you know. 1.gif

The "p" is back in. Guess we'll keep it.

No doubt about it, the Dynaudio line offers some great products. So does the B&W 800 series. I believe you'll find the ratio of those prices to Klipsch prices MUCH greater than the ratio of their veneer thickness to that of Klipsch.

Apples to apples and all that.