Cracking/Popping Sound with Marantz SR-6011 + Rotel RMB1585 + Forte III

Lateral_Line

Have any of you experienced cracking/popping sound from your receiver?  This happens occasionally when I stream cable tv using my Time Warner Cable app from my TV.  When cracking/popping noise happens, I cannot control the volume from the AVR.  I resort to turning off and on the AVR to resuming listening.  I am listening at low/medium volume level.  

My set up is below:

Marantz SR-6011 AVR

Rotel RMB-1585  Amplifier

Klipsch Forte III

Klipsch KLF-C7 Center

Klipsch RS-42II Surrounds.

No popping sounds heard for my year-old 6011 used for TV watching in the living room a few hours every day.  Hooked up through an HDMI cable box for TV watching and HDMI through a Sony Bluray player which is how I get internet to the TV.

Speakers are in 3.0 RF-83 and RC-64.  Everything is 100% reliable and quiet, no unusual noises.

How are your interconnect cables?  Believe it or not I have had cables go bad.

46 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

No popping sounds heard for my year-old 6011 used for TV watching in the living room a few hours every day.  Hooked up through an HDMI cable box for TV watching and HDMI through a Sony Bluray player which is how I get internet to the TV.

Speakers are in 3.0 RF-83 and RC-64.  Everything is 100% reliable and quiet, no unusual noises.

How are your interconnect cables?  Believe it or not I have had cables go bad.

Glad your set up is working well for you.  

My interconnect cables aren't new, but i can make new ones if that's what it takes.  

2 minutes ago, Lateral_Line said:

My interconnect cables aren't new, but i can make new ones if that's what it takes.  

Is your popping in both channels?  Before you make new cables try swapping your cables and see if you hear any difference.

I really don't think it's your cables, but when trouble shooting try to simplify your gear and change one variable at a time.  Swapping cables is a cheap and easy place to start.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wvu80 said:

Is your popping in both channels?  Before you make new cables try swapping your cables and see if you hear any difference.

I really don't think it's your cables, but when trouble shooting try to simplify your gear and change one variable at a time.  Swapping cables is a cheap and easy place to start.

Liking your approach to problem solving.  The difficult part is trying to force the issue.  I can't make the popping sound come back when i want it.  It's really random.  

Just now, Lateral_Line said:

Liking your approach to problem solving.  The difficult part is trying to force the issue.  I can't make the popping sound come back when i want it.  It's really random.  

I was thinking about that.  It would help if you could create the popping by doing a certain thing, then get it to stop by doing something else, maybe playing from a different source.  If you can't create the problem it is really hard to track it down.

My problem is I can't figure out if your popping is coming from an amp channel, something in the speaker, a loose connection that randomly connects, etc etc.  I have a TV that randomly shuts itself off and I think it might be a solid state board that heats up, creates the problem, then when it cools the problem goes away.  My TV can go months without a problem then it happens a couple of times a day.  Maddening.

Does your cracking/popping sound happen when the AVR is cold, or only when hot?

I was also thinking there is an "Official Marantz 6011" thread on AVSforum.com.  You might try posting there since you will find a lot more people who have the 6011.  I haven't read every one of the 4,000 posts but of the ones I've seen I haven't heard of that popping sound problem.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2450130-official-marantz-2016-nr-1607-sr-5011-6011-7011-owner-s-thread.html

I occasionally get it when turning my system on. We have poor quality power here with a lot of fluctuation and outages. Throw in a very dry and static environment. From time to time I either turn off or unplug my power bar and it vanishes for a few weeks.