Bucking Magnets, once again

Aaron N

Just received my bucking magnets for my good ol' KG 5.5's. To those of you that have installed BM's on your speakers I would like to ask a question. When I read the instructions, supplied by Klipsch, it says to glue the magnets together. This is not difficult to understand, but the magnet on the speaker currently is seemingly held in to place with a silver backing plate. Do you simply glue the BM to the plate, or do you have to seperate the plate from the magnet, it seems as though you can't, and glue the magnets together and then reinstall the backing plate? I searched the forum for previous info. but I'm still leary of the correct way to do this. By the way, Greg in parts was a great help, and Tom in technical was very helpful as well. I just wish that I had discovered my dilemma before they closed for the weekend! Also, for those of you who care, Tom said that BM's will give your speakers a 1 decibel gain, it's not much but I'll take it! Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Aaron N

The KG5.5's are not magnetically shielded so there should not be a shielding cup on the woof magnet. I would say you should just epoxy the bucking magnets to the woofs as is. You'll have to clamp them as I suppose correct installation would have the magnets opposing each other. Good luck!

Keith

aaron, i don't know specifically your assembly, but sounds to me like you would want to glue the bm to the plate of the removed woofer assembly. remove the complete assembly 1st & use instant epoxy (got mine at home depot).

glue the side of the bm where it repels from the woof magnet to the plate - a lil tricky, push hard & hold it in place for awhile until it sets. then i'd let them sit for at least a few hours w/ heavy objects on top of the back of the bm until they're set & dried well.

the object is that the bm is behind the woof mag & repeling or neutralizing the woof's magnetism. though trey at 1-800-klipsch could probably answer best about how-to w/ this specific kg magnet.

I went ahead and glued the BM's to the backing plate. I used JB Weld for the epoxy and some rather strong spring clamps to hold them in place. JB Weld takes 4 - 6 hours to set and a full 15 hours to cure. I'll sacrifice the time waiting because those BM's are going no where once the Weld sets up. One thing I did notice is that 4 out of the 6 BM's I was sent were labeled incorrectly as to how they should be placed on the back of the speaker. The "This Side Up" stickers were incorrect as they attracted to the speaker magnets when placed in this position. So, anyone who purchases BM's make sure that the magnets REPEL each other when you glue them together. By the way, the backing plate I referred to is not a shielding cup, it's a part of the speaker assembly. Klipsch doesn't have shielding cups for the KG 5.5's. I knew by looking at the plate there was no way to remove it without destroying the speaker. I've installed 2 woofers, ones that have fully cured, in the tower closest to the TV and it seems to have done the trick! I'm kind of anxious to install the rest of the speakers, once they cure, to see if I can detect a 1 decibel gain as I was told they would increase by. Thanks for the feedback!