AVR powefulenough for my Klpisch Reference Surround Sound

Speiro1

On 3/31/2018 at 6:48 PM, garyrc said:

The Marantz has Audyssey.  Audyssey can range from no improvement to a great improvement.  At my house it greatly improves my sound.  The key is careful, patient set-up.  Take 30 to 45 minutes out and read this carefully: "Audyssey FAQ Linked Here".

It is much better than any AVR manual I've seen in dealing with Audyssey.  I'd forget the professional installer.  Some may be fine, but some are < 30 day wonders who don't understand Audyssey.  If you read the link, you may be able to do a better job.  

There is Reference and Preference.  Almost everyone on the "Official Audyssey Forum" at AVS, first sets up Audyssey for Reference, which gives you a relatively smooth curve to start with, corrected in the frequency domain and partially corrected in the time domain, and then makes a few changes toward their personal Preference.  Most people turn up the subwoofer.  This must be done AFTER running Audyssey because if it is done before, Audyssey will turn it right down again.  The reasons for turning up the subwoofer after Audyssey calibration are several, but the main one is that research at Harman and elsewhere has shown that 1) Most people don't like "flat" and prefer a room curve that is about 9 or 10 dB higher in the lowest bass than it is in the highest treble, and 2) Most people, when presented with a variety of curves to listen to in a double blind test, think the above described curve is "flat" or "natural."

It is easier and better to start with a smooth ("flat") curve like Audyssey gives you, then tilt it to preference, than to start with the kinky

room curve most people have without Audyssey or other room correction -- unless you like kinky.

In the graph below, the relatively smooth line is the theoretical ideal depiction of the curve most people prefer, on the average.  The kinky curves are those of actual speakers in rooms, adjusted to resemble and follow the preferred theoretical curve.  No real curve is smooth, but the Audyssey curve you get, in your room, after being adjusted for preference, should be smoother than this one, IMO.

For more info on "Flat" v.s. not Flat, read "Down With Flat" by J. Gordon Holt, the founder of Stereophile in their archive, on their website.

image.png

Hi Garryrc the Audtssey link is dead do you have another I can reference? 

3 hours ago, Speiro1 said:

Hi All

i just received my Marantz SR6011.  I allowed the ABR to run its speaker set up.  Once completed it sounded good but I went into the setting to find it set the front and center speakers to “Large”.  Everywhere I read that this is wrong so I set the speakers to “Small”.  I was very disappointed with the results after changing the speakers from Large to Small.  I also read that the crossover should be set to 80htz.  I know my front and center speakers have response of about 50htz on the low end, should I adjust the crossovers to the lowest setting of each individual speaker or put them all at the THX remended 80htz? Thank you.

IMO, experiment starting at 80, 70, 60, 50, I'll bet 60Hz might do it for you.

Bill