Any astronomers here ?

joessportster

I have a friend selling a selsi telescope in a large wooden crate wooden tripod there is a plaque that says selsi  coated optics f=910mm, D=80mm it comes with a manual of sorts states selsi model 247 telescope instructions for use its only 4 pages, and theres a packing diagram as well  it is missing a solar reflecting screen and the bar used with the screen which from what I can tell is used to view the sun as a reflection on the screen ?  anyway I have seen these on flea bay for 300+  He is asking 150  good deal ? I have looked through it at the moon and the thing does show a very sharp image when lined up and focused. My shaky hands make it very hard for me to use and if it is a good deal i thought of you guys maybe someone here is into this and would know if its a good scope and may have been looking for 1

What do you guys think ?

I have a friend selling a selsi telescope in a large wooden crate wooden tripod there is a plaque that says selsi  coated optics f=910mm, D=80mm it comes with a manual of sorts states selsi model 247 telescope instructions for use its only 4 pages, and theres a packing diagram as well  it is missing a solar reflecting screen and the bar used with the screen which from what I can tell is used to view the sun as a reflection on the screen ?  anyway I have seen these on flea bay for 300+  He is asking 150  good deal ? I have looked through it at the moon and the thing does show a very sharp image when lined up and focused. My shaky hands make it very hard for me to use and if it is a good deal i thought of you guys maybe someone here is into this and would know if its a good scope and may have been looking for 1

What do you guys think ?

Drop in the bucket for what you’re getting (if you’ll use it). It would already be mine lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought it was a good deal but that is the rub I cant operate it that well I have a tremor in both arms / hands and as one might imagine when I go to line up an image (celestial object) The scope is all over the place if I get that lined up then there is the focusing to contend with. I have gotten there  with it but it takes a while and my other issues start up

If you have interest in it I could get it and pass it along for the same plus shipping.  

I was messing around with telescopes just a couple of years ago. I'm not familiar with that scope but it sounds like a refractor as opposed to a reflector based on the lens diameter. Does it comes with more than one eyepeice? The focal length of the eyepeices is part of the equation to determine magnification. Is the tripod an equatorial style? They are harder to set up but can compensate for the rotation of the earth to take long exposure photos.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Check out 'cloudynights.com'. There is more info on Selsi scopes. Apparently they are quite old, but may have decent optcs. I've got a few telescopes, a 90mm Williamsl optics, and some handmade reflectors. Living in the city isn't great for viewing however...

I can not answer those questions, as I have no idea what you are talking about, all I know is it has a wooden tripod, a very heavy metal mount that you can move with some spring type handles that allow you to move the scope very slowly left or right with 1 and up or down with the other there is also a counterweight  whole thing probably weigh around 60 pounds or more boxed up in its case

I understand it is something like 70's vintage  it looks cool, here is a pic from the web  and his looks identical 

selsi.PNG

If it has a counterweight then it would be an equatorial. They are more involved than an azimuth mount but are better if you want to stay on an object longer. Looks to be a great deal at a buck fifty. Extra eyepeices if needed aren't too expensive depending on manfacture.
And as with horns the bigger scope the better.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk