How far should the ceiling speakers be away from screen?

Spirit_Rises

Hi guys

I ordered the Denon x4400h for my rp-260f speakers and i am deciding to build the 5.1.4 or 7.1.2 atmos configuration.

Which configuration should i go with?

If i pick the 5.1.4 ,how far should my ceiling speakers be away from the screen (for the front ceilings) ?

And for the rear ceilings should i put them right above the surrounds? Or a little bit inside the square? 

Ps:i will use bookshelf speakers as ceiling speakers.

I hope i could explain myself clearly.

Edit:in the picture you can see that there is a wall , so if i put the front ceilings right above the towers ,i wont be able to hear them very clearly because of that wall.how about setting up front ceilings in front of that wall? 

Thanks in advance

IMG_20180503_132308.jpg

And rest of the ceiling is below.For the rear ceilings , where should i put them?

IMG_20180503_133223.jpg

• Moderators

I'm about to be right there with you myself.

I have read having 4 Atmos is much more immersive than 2 Atmos speakers.  I already have 7.2 so I'll be upgrading to 7.2.4.  In my setup, I'm not necessarily sure I actually hear my surround back speakers so I could likely go with a 5.2.4 and still sound great.  I have debated selling a pair of my RS-62's to help fund the Atmos upgrades I want to make (receiver, speakers and subs).

All of the Atmos diagrams I've seen show the in-ceiling speakers in line with the front mains.  One pair would go between the front speakers and your front row and the rear atmos will go behind your listening position.

Does that help?

Std7-2-4DolbySetupColor.png

Welcome Spirit, looking at your room there, will be problems with a 5.1.4 or 7.1.2.  You don't seem to have much room behind the couch.  I would forget surround back speaker and rear atmos.  I would put the atmos slightly in front of the couch and use the second pair of in-ceiling speakers as FH/atmos, directly above the main.  Look at the atmos #7 in youthman diagram.  Don't have a #8 and place the atoms/FH over the mains.   I have use something similar to this over the past several years.

I have 11 total speakers but, use only 9.x.2 in movies.  So, the position #7 speakers function with Atmos movies and #8 are FH that function with non-atmos movies.  This is a Pioneer Elite configuration for 11 speakers.  Denon and Marantz, etc. may be different.   The atmos effect is very good even though there are only two atmos speakers in use.  I don't have a dedicated HT with rows of seats.  I use a large sectional couch for the main seating.

47 minutes ago, derrickdj1 said:

first of all thank you for the answer,

if i put the front speakers as atmos or height speakers right above the main , wont the wall i marked block the sound ? 

so i thought that i had enough room when i read the Youthman's post.i just thought i can put the front atmos speakers (#7) right in front (not behind by putting them above the main) of the wall i marked in the picture and for the rear atmos speakers (#8) (speaker numbers are from the Youthman's pic) i can put them right above the surround speakers.Don't they do the job by this configuration? like below;

5.1.4 01.JPG

Yes, put the front atmos in front of the wall.  It just does not look like you have enough room for rear atmos with those large open  areas between the room.  I bet you won't miss not having rear atmos.  I don't miss not having them and use the Pioneer Elite avr configuration for a 9.X.2.  I have several friends with the 4 atmos speakers and would say the experience is very similar between my system and theirs.

When it comes to surround speakers, they need space between them to get all the spatial cues.  A good 5.1.2 system is better than a cramed 5.1.4.  Just find a configuration that your avr supports.  For example, my avr will not support atmos in front and behind the couch without switching to a 7.2.4 which I could do but, would rather have FH speaker for non-atmos movies.

ok then my another question is how far should the front ceiling atmos speakers be away from the main tower speakers? like 1 meter or 2 meters away?

and if the movie does'nt support the Atmos i will be using only 5.1 surround system right?

if i do 7.1.2 and if the movie does'nt support Atmos , i will be using standart 7.1 surround sound?

edit: can i use my old AVR pioneer vsx-921 K as a power amplifier for the another pair of speakers? or is it just only allowed with the real power amplifiers?

thnx in advance