Is this a good setup for a newbie?

Judge17

What if you also want to play movies and enjoy 6.1 surround sound?

1. Do you recommend two electronic stacks? I recall reading a recommendation to run two main speaker cables and swap from 2-channel to HT?

2. Do you use a Surround Processor and multiple used amps. I believe there are members on the board using the Outlaw 950 and all tube amplification.

3. Would you recommend a more expensive surround pro/5-channel pair from the likes of B&K,Rotel,Outlaw?

This question is allows for a ~$2K budget.

I know this is the 2-channel board and not everyone on this board cares for video, surround processing, etc., but I would guess this is a popular question and why many by receivers.

Mobile...(Kelly)...

So, the young man has 1200 bucks to spend....here goes:

800 bucks goes to a nice pair of Cornwalls on eBay(maybe even less)...shipping cost included...less for a pair of Heresys, of course!!

30 bucks plus shipping is less than 50 bucks for an H/K 430 receiver (sounds better than what he has listed, and will last him a number of years...and he can always get out of it what he has into it...when/if he ever decides to get rid of it!!!) Its twin-powered 25 watts per channel is MORE THAN ENOUGH POWER to severely irritate the neighbors when put into those Cornwalls!! LOL!

Total so far 850 bucks...that leaves 350 bucks for a CD player...and he won't need that much!! The rest he can hold onto for CD's or whatever...but I would take some of it and grab up a Technics SL-1300 turntable on eBay for around 100 bucks or less, with a working decent cartridge/stylus combo...may as well be able to hear some VINYL through those Cornwalls...right?

9.gif

Later on he can do whatever upgrades he wants...starting with the H/K 430 and the CD player...but he will be hard-pressed to find anything in the mass-market stores that holds a candle to the H/K's sound!!! Even at ten times or more of what he will have to pay for the H/K!!!

As for the Cornwalls, he will probably keep them for LIFE!!!

Personally, I wont EVER mix my 2 Channel with the movie/video side of the equation. In my mind, the two are entirely different animals and should be separated. If I dont have room for both, I opt out of the HT altogether. I am a great movie lover - but to be honest, most of my favorite movies dont really need HT pyrotechnics. Yes, there is no denying that a great HT system makes action, adventure, Sci-Fi etc movies very visceral. But these are genearlly not my favorite films to begin with and mixing HT compromises my music so much , it is not worth it. When I have room, I will have a HT setup. I personally wouldnt even have a television in the same room if able, certainly not anywhere between the speakers (ultimately, it is best to have nothing between the speakers over the height of the amps on dedicated stands if needed).

Most on here have some form of video linked to their main music system one way or another. I just dont find this preferable for a variety of reasons, many listed above. Give me another room.

If shooting for HT and music, I would put as much into my pre setup and amplification as possible and it is the only time I would consider using a sub as subs within a music system just dont ultimately get the nut. I realize, once again, this is in the minority...a very SMALL minority. But I have really found this to be true. There are probably a few setups out there that wont involve as much compromise; I just have havent heard them nor found them particularly necessary. Many in here disagree.

As for the Cornwall-H/K 430 recommendation, while this might float your boat for awhile, jumping into the next level of amplification will bring a major step forward and at not too many ducats. The strategy does have merit though since you see those HK 430 receivers go for under $35 on ebay quite often. If you only have $900 to spend and have to have Cornwalls then there is surely not any cheaper alternative besides moving in with Lonelobo and sharing the wealth...

kh