Yamaha Aventage vs. Integra DRX on Power

The History Kid

I got into "better than shelf-system" audio with Yamaha back in 2002ish?  I think? (Brain is foggy right now).

Anyway, when Yamaha did all of their reimaging of their AVR's in 2008ish, I kinda started to dislike how they sounded.  There were no Yamaha AVENTAGE models at that time, it was the blank space between the RX-Z7/11 and the RX-V something or other.  

I've heard good things about the AVENTAGE line, enough to be able to recommend it to some people here, but I remain skeptical simply out of remembering the dissatisfaction from the 2008 models (and again in 2012 - though my experience there was with an HTR model - ew).  I'm looking at an RX-A2030 to replace my MC-700 as I'm totally fed up with it.  I have a UPA-500 that I'm not happy with either that powers my center and 4 surrounds (mains are handled by an XPA-2 and UPA-2 which are going NOWHERE).  Yamaha spec's the 2030 at 140 W with 2 channels driven, but that's at 1 kHz.  

Does anyone have any input on the 2030, and have a better idea of what I can expect power wise with 5 channels driven (center/surrounds)?  Would I come out over 80 W (which the UPA-500 provides)?  How's the sound on the 2030?

I'm also considering the Integra DRX-3.1.  The Integra has a beefier power supply, rated at 100 W from 20 Hz.  I feel the Integra might have a more honest power rating.

Michael,

Get the RX-A2030 and add this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ACURUS-A220x3-3-Channel-High-End-Amplifier-1499-00-Original-retail-price/183220891480?hash=item2aa8d0ef58:g:aw8AAOSwiDpa9aqo

The Acurus is dead on neutral so it will not change the Yamaha's sound signature.

Or get the Integra and add the Acurus.

Bill

42 minutes ago, willland said:

Or get the Integra and add the Acurus.

I ended up pulling the trigger on the Integra because of how pleased I've been with their units so far, the better feature set, and the better power supply.

Heck of a price on the Acurus, but I sense the feeling that this is peer pressure into buying stuff.  *sigh* I'm vulnerable. lol

I wanted to post a reply here real quick that the Integra arrived today.  I have it running in a very limited capacity until Friday when I can get all of the surround channels hooked back up.  I'll make a separate thread on impressions since the unit is one of the new line, but the first listen tells me that it may perhaps be outperforming the Emotiva combo already.  The bass management I can attest 150% sure, is better than the MC-700's.  More later.