Mobile homeless

Jim Cornell

I have 3 Solvtec output tubes, and one Golden dragon output tube here, read my results post then i need you to answer a question here!

All the output tubes are manually biased set, using a screw and light configuratiion!

In the owners manual, conrad johnson says they dont have to match, in name brands, is this true?

Jim

14.gif

Well, yes. Technically, they dont have to match brand-wise; in other words, the tubes will work and you can bias each tube at the proper point (have you experimented here?). On the other hand, different manufacturers have different sounding tubes with certain sonic qualities that might be highlighted in one brand and more recessed in another. This is why people prefer certain makes of tubes over others. But the sound of the tube is a combination of the circuit and the way it is run mixed with its own properties. This is an oft debated idea in other forums with some thinking a tube's entire signature is due to the way it is run and with different operating points can be made to sound like others. All things being equal, if you roll different tubes in an amp at the same operating points, then you will get slightly to more noticable differences in sound, depending on the tubes.

So while it will not hurt the amp, I would prefer to have a quad of the same type of tube. At the least, you will want a backup set of tubes for your amp. The choices appear to be interesting as I noted in your other post.