Which NAD C amp for Heresy III's?

ironman

I have a slightly older NAD C356BEE integrated amp that delivers 80 wpc. I have driven my Heresy I's with it without ever wishing I had more power. I currently drive a set of Belles and a set of RB 61s with it and can shake the house. Living in a condo and listening at moderate levels, you will have plenty of power. Extra watts are never wasted either, but you could probably do a lot of good with the money you would save.

1 minute ago, MookieStl said:

I have a slightly older NAD C356BEE integrated amp that delivers 80 wpc. I have driven my Heresy I's with it without ever wishing I had more power. I currently drive a set of Belles and a set of RB 61s with it and can shake the house. Living in a condo and listening at moderate levels, you will have plenty of power. Extra watts are never wasted either, but you could probably do a lot of good with the money you would save.

Thanks, good to hear.  And that's my thinking exactly... the $700 I will save by going with the 80 wpc C368 is not chump change to me.  And with the C368's pre-outs, I can always expand to a more powerful amp or a tube amp sometime in the future (budget willing).

As far as to how much NAD power you need, with the Heritage speakers, you don't need alot.  I have a late 80's NAD 7000 receiver rated at 40 watts/ch but has 6db of headroom.  I used it briefly on my Chorus II's in an office setting at no more than moderate volume and it sounded fine.  Then I picked up a pair of Quartet's for the house and am using the NAD 7000 on them, and I never get the volume knob past the 10:30 position where it is loud, tight and controlled!  I haven't heard the later NAD's nor the new integrateds, do know they don't have quite the headroom as the 7xxx receivers so maybe a little more power is nice, but 40 watts is plenty for me.  I'd try to find one of those receivers (or integrateds from that period) with a remote for a couple of hundred dollars.

(BTW, why the Chorus's aren't in the house and Quartet's are - ask the wife)