To Kelly Mobile Homeless

Erik Mandaville

Hey, Kelly -

I sincerely appreciate your comments about the Welborne Labs thing, and that you considered a follow up response to all of that. But I respect your just leaving it alone, which is what I have also done. I was just confused by the tone of his response to my wondering about possibly using a 45 instead of a 2A3. Whatever,I'll just stay away from there.

And yeah, I do in fact have the Electra-print transforemer. Your amp must be of an earlier vintage. The one thing I haven't tried are oil coupling capacitors, out of the concern that I might get some high frequency roll-off compared to to poly caps. But that assumption may be totally incorrect! Is that what you are using in yours? I prefer what some might describe as a more 'clinical' sort of sound over one that is overly liquid and warm (a little bit of that is nice, though.)

I completely agree with the vinyl thing (or issue, or whatever you want to call it!). I have lot of albums I miss listening to, and I remember very well how holographic and 3-D records sound in comparison to their smaller disc CD cousins. I actually worked a decent but older Technics table we had, but can't get a nasty hum out of the thing. So I'm thinking about getting one of the Music Hall offerings, which I think offer good performance for the investment.

My music interests, like yours, are pretty diverse:

Classical Jazz

Baroque

Modern Jazz (Pat Metheny, etc.)

Rock: Old Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, Mike Oldfield and tons of others!

By the way, you have some serious talent in the quality of the illustrations and layout of some of your posts, Kelly. Do you do stuff like that for a living, by any chance? Heck, I don't even know how to put a digital image onto my computer!

Erik

Well, I actually did end up leaving another small post on that WL forum yesterday just because I felt Ron's response was so out of the blue and not really warranted. I should have left one at the time considering I felt the same way you did, almost point for point.

If you haven't been on that Welborne Labs forum you might be interested to know that he is finally discontinuing the 2A3 Moondogs and 300B Laurels. He has a few kits left of each on sale which will be IT. AND, ole Ron is trying to capitalize on the final run by making ONE LAST pair of "Ultimate Ultimate" 2A3 Moondog Monos hand-made by Ron himself and personally autographed as "the last one" etc etc. Of interest will be the fact that it has Silver Wired Electra-Print outputs and a silver wired choke, not to mention a custom power trans. In fact, the whole things says silver with silver wiring and the VERY PRICEY but good Audio Note Silver Foil Oil caps. Price? A whopping $7500!!! He seems to think it will be a "collectors item" or something. Of course, Silver Wired transformers are NOT cheap...

As for the Audio Note Copper Foils, they do NOT roll off the in the top end at all but they are a slight be less snap. In place of this is a far more natural, harmonically correct sound to my ear with NO sibilance at all... it sounds like air and seems more correct. I have tried to move so far from the HIFI sound that to me does impress on first listen but does not sound musical and misses something of the richness of live music. There is something very natural and organic about the sound of oil caps... Ditto with the Tantalum resistors... But you might like a more aggressive sound... The new Audio Note Copper caps are supposed to be good and a bit cheaper than Jensen. Also, the Angela Copper caps are the cheapest and just rebranded Jensens.

I sort of feel the same way about vinyl to digital as I do about the Oil caps vs the film/foils. There seems to be something more akin to real music going on here. I have a Rega player that is very rich and robust, and not too digital sounding, and sometimes I forget what I don't like about digital. It only takes about 20 seconds of a good piece on the Linn LP-12 to realize what is missing and added. Good vinyl just has so much more resolution, air, life, and information, despite the negatives of the format. I still listen to both but late night with Lester Young/Coleman Hawkins on the Linn - Cary - 2A3 monos- and Cornwalls is REALLY something.

As for the images in the posts etc, I do plead guilty here. I do web design for a living - I have done a few audio sites as well i.e. www.magnequest.com , www.diycable.com , and www.progressive-engeering.com among others (even did the Lamhorn site, ironically enough).

You still using that wacky Romex? heh...

kh