Floor speaker choice

mschreiber

Hello and thank you in advance for any feedback on this post.  I am currently new to Klipsch and have recently acquired a Quintet III set of Klipsch.  The system has the 5.1 center, front, and rear surround setup plus  left and right surround speakers.  I recently have purchased a Yamaha RV-683RX 7.2 Dolby Atmos receiver.  My thoughts are to run my 12 inch Paradigm sub with this Quintet III setup.  I currently have a set of MTX Home Theatre floor speakers that I am looking at upgrading. 

With all that in mind, I initially started looking at the R-26FA Atmos speakers. I figured maybe add these to replace the MTX floor and front set from the Quintet III.  Then as I looked more into the Klipsch family of speakers, I found the RP-280F and RP-260F line.  

Question 1:  How much difference is there when comparing the Reference vs the Reference Premier series?  Night and day or do  you have to really listen for the subtle differences? 

Question  2: Is it worth going to the 8 inch driver series vs the 6 inch given I have a sub that holds its own for low end?  (Sub is actually an Alpine 4 ohm Dual Voice Coil Type S  driven by Paradigm 110W RMS onboard amp. I had refoamed the Paradigm but it is old so put in what I thought is a much better quality driver. Made sure the impedance matched and it will handle whatever the Paradigm will ever throw at it. Not to mention cone and surround is much better on the Alpine.  I am sure many may disagree,  but it worked for me and it is pretty awesome! )

Question 3: I have not yet hooked up the Quintet III system. My initial thoughts would be to get the RP-280F and use the Quintet III fronts for the atmos or front presence speakers. So the question is... Will this configuration hold its own as a dolby atmos config or am I better off with the R-26FA model to cover the dolby atmos and floor speaker upgrade? 

I am trying to stay in a budget as most do.  Hence the reason I did not mention the RP-280FA.  That would be my first choice to end all of these questions.  However, I need to get the most bang for my buck. 

I have been a Paradigm user in a 5.1 configuration up until now.  However, this free set of Quintet III now has me down a long and adventurous road to upgrade my system. In the end I want to be able to have a good balance of home theatre dolby atmos but yet be able to rock the house with some music.  Thank you for your time. 

Mike

Room 40' x 10' 

Quintet III system is wall mounted at a high level

Distance from front speakers to the rear surround speaker is about 20' with the surround left and right midway between

Carpet floor with Drywall wall and ceiling

Go with the reference premiere line, a 40 x 10 room is not small. The biggest difference is the matching components to the towers are small. For example look at the center and surrounds compared to RP line. Your better off getting the RP260s or RP280s because they have a nice big matching center. Talk to @MetropolisLakeOutfitters He can get you a good deal. 

• Like 1

First of all, thank you for the replies.  The room is quite large in regards to the length.  The speaker placement is utilizing half of the room.  Meaning the Quintet III wall mounted speakers. 

In response to Boilermaker86.... 

Go with the reference premiere line, a 40 x 10 room is not small. The biggest difference is the matching components to the towers are small. For example look at the center and surrounds compared to RP line. Your better off getting the RP260s or RP280s because they have a nice big matching center. Talk to @MetropolisLakeOutfitters He can get you a good deal. 

Are you saying that the Quintet III center and surrounds are not a good match to the R or RP lines due to their size of the Quintet III speakers? 

What do you mean by the RP260 and 280s have a nice matching center?

I am also wondering if I should stick to my Paradigm center and rear surrounds rather than use the Quintet III setup?  Paradigm CC-70 center and Paradigm Atom rear surrounds. Maybe those would be a better fit?  I will have to investigate further the differences between the two configurations. It would become a bit of a mix and match as the front presence speakers would be from the Quintet III along with the left and right surrounds. Whereas the center and rear surrounds would be Paradigm.  The main focus for now is just to upgrade the MTX home theatre floor speakers.   I am thinking the RP280F with the Quintet III front presence as atmos speakers should server the purpose.  Any more thoughts?  Thanks again for everyone's feedback

Rule of thump is the front 3 speakers should match. The quintet speakers would be over powered by two big tower speakers. They may work for the short term, but long term plan on getting the proper center. See pictures below of the complete reference vs reference premiere series....notice the difference between the matching center and rears in both series. Having a Rp 450 center in your room will be much better than the small center in the reference series. 

803BF776-FC7D-472F-BDF9-80DE7CE3DF7D.jpeg

9545CC6E-370D-4BC3-A384-FF132C024553.jpeg