KMC 3 Rubber Coating Issue

Polkahero

I just purchased a used KMC 3 bluetooth speaker and while it works and sounds great, the rubber coating on the outside of the cabinet is very sticky/tacky.  It picks up every little bit of dust, lint, etc. and I feel like I have to wash my hands every time I handle it.  I called Klipsch and they suggest an ammonia based cleaner but I didn't have any luck with Windex so then I tried rubbing alcohol with no results.  Finally, after I switched to denatured alcohol the coating started coming off which is the only way to get rid of the tackiness.  So far I've removed the coating from the top and one side but as my arm/hand is killing me from so much elbow grease I was wondering if anyone here has experienced a similar issue and what they did to remedy it.  Was thinking about switching to acetone but worried that will do some internal damage and possibly degrade the plastic housing, nasty stuff!

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I have the same issue with a white KMC 1 which I bought brand new in 2014. Over the last few years the entire surface of the white plastic housing started to accumulate a very sticky messy residue all over it. Every square inch of the white plastic had this sticky junk all over it. I wasn't sure what to use to remove it, so today, I used several paper towels with a small amount of Windex on them. I know this was probably not the best thing to use, but it took off all the sticky yellowish junk off. I had to keep rubbing and applying more windex on the paper towels, but eventually it did break down all the surface residue. I was careful to keep the sticky residue that came off from getting on the front and back black grilles. as well as not get any moisture on the grilles, or the control panel on the top. I know it doesn't look as good as when it was new, but it looks a lot better now with all the gunk removed.

I haven't really used this Klipsch KMC1 speaker that much over the last few years. I was listening to some music on this Klipsch about 3-4 years ago and I heard a large pop sound and then there was a burning smell, not sure what happened. But today after cleaning the entire outer casing of the the Klipsch KMC1, I charged the Klipsch, and it charges just fine, Then I connected the Klipsch to my phone and bluetooth still connects without any issues, as well as all the other controls work fine, just like they used to. It still sounds great, so I am not sure if possibly one of the speakers blew and it still sounds good with the remaining speakers working, or what happened to it.

I have stored the Klipsch speaker on the TV shelf in the living room for the last couple years, so it has not been exposed to any harsh weather or elements, and I have not really wanted to use it, in part because the outer surface was a complete mess with the residue all over it. I will have to see if the gunk comes back again, and maybe it needs to be wiped down occasionally. The KMC 1 was definitely a great speaker for listening to music, preferably at louder volumes I really have enjoyed it, and maybe I will see if I can keep using it for a while longer. 

Edited by Moose on the Loose
Adding more detail to my story, which shows that the Klipsch speaker I own was not exposed to any adverse conditions or harsh weather elements.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've had the same problem. Speaker has only been outside a couple of times (when taken camping, but even then, kept inside a large tent, and never out in the elements). Finally a couple of days ago I pulled out an old library card (hard plastic, just like a credit care or gift card) and used that to scrape off most of the coating. Still left a bit that is almost impossible to remove, but much better than it was. I'll try orange oil to try and remove the rest of it. Sigh...

Edited by BryantH
  • Like 1

On 8/6/2023 at 10:33 PM, John Francini said:

So would that be 'straight' Orange Oil, or something like "Goo Gone"?  Also what about Goof Off?  

We have one of those KMC-3 speakers, which sounds wonderful, but is covered in that sticky stuff.

Goo Gone works... We've had electronics at work with the same type of sticky stuff but cleaned it with GG. It still takes some work, though and have not had it hurt any case material (a couple of Dell laptops and a telephone hot spot).

• 2 months later...

After first being disgusted (and - after looking for a solution - archiving this speaker for 5-6 years), I read the above and tried GooGone (I used a spray bottle) this AM. At first it appeared to do nothing except make the goo even tackier, but I let it soak in and sprayed a second time (soaking the cabinet - ONE SIDE at a time - and rubbing until the goo began sliding around somewhat. As one side appeared better, I worked around one side after another. I found it very important to keep using clean cloths (as a used one simply reapplied the goo). About 30 minutes and 5-6 cloths later, I was happy to uncover a nice shiny black plastic surface ... which I then "finished" with a rag sprayed with ArmorAll.

Currently enjoying the "refinished" Klipsch KMC-3 speaker with AppleMusic ... sounds much better than the "adequate" JBL Flip 5 I have been listening to in my home office.

• Like 1