Pulled my old girls out of the closet: Denon POA-4400's mono blocks

Alexander

Took out my four Denon POA-4400's I bought new back in ~1990 or so and changed out one pair from the Emotiva XPA-1's 1st gen.  I must say they do sound different! Neither good or bad at this point so we will listen to them for a bit and see where that might take me. Need to make up some more speaker wires at some point and try bi-amping with the second pair of POA-4400's. 

• Like 1

After listening to the POA-4400's they do sound more punchy and a bit more lively. Now going back to the XPA-1's I find them more refined & delicate in the detail even though both amps seemed to be the same amount. Also the XPA-1's are not as "forceful" in the low end either. Maybe age has some influence in the Denon's being they are knocking on 30 years old now. But if someone had a set of speakers that might be a bit light in the bass then I think the Denon's would fit a little better than these Emotiva's. Over all the old POA-4400's still sound light years better than a lot of the newer stuff out there today.

btw, only xlr interconnects are used in my entire system.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...