2.1 vs 4.1 sat....

totalkaos

According to some specs, the sats for the 4.1 system are 4 by 60 watts. For the 2.1 system, they are 2 by 35 watts. Does anyone know if these two speakers are the same speakers but with different amps? Or are they different speakers with different amps? I'm wondering about this because i'd like to know what would happen if you had the 4.2 system and just happened to get your hands on a cp-1 amp and hooked it up. Also, that goes for my question about the subs too... thanks...

The power handling of the 4.1 and 2.1 sats are the same. They can probably handle more than the 60 watts rated of the 4.1's.

The watt ratings you're looking at are the amp's rms watts.

Hey Dan,

Any chance of getting something like a service manual, you know? Like Sam's Tech. A .pdf of some schematics. Even a circuit-cad file or something?

rol1; We're restricted by a licensing agreement from disclosing the details of the amp. A long time ago we posted the basic preamp schematic, and that's probably all we can do for now. Maybe in a year or two we can do that for older speaker models.

Sorry, I know that's not all that helpful.

-djf

quote:

Originally posted by totalkaos:

Since they are both the same speakers, one is being driven by almost less than half the power of the other. Doesn't under driving tend to cause harm to speakers?

thanks

There is some truth to this rumor in the general case. With some marginally designed speakers, it is possible to blow a tweeter using an underpowered amplifier. This happens when the underpowered amp is overdriven. That sends high harmonic energy into the tweeter. If the tweeter has insufficient protection, or the amp is just very nasty, a tweeter can be overloaded.

Fortunately, the amps in the ProMedia line are well-matched to the speakers, so neither of these things happen.

Normally, an underpowered amp is not itself a problem. It only becomes a problem when overdriven (with extremely high distortion) into an underdesigned loudspeaker.