Not quite understanding

Mutenaye

So I’ve read and researched for a while and played with my settings... 

everything ive read says set my speakers to small and lets subs do the work...

problem with this this is I find it sounds way better and has a lot more low end range setting everything as large.

setup is

2x r12sw subs

2x r-28f floor standers

rp450c center

rear surrounds rb 61 ll 

theres also 4 small Sony’s around for atmos that I haven’t upgraded yet set as small.

reciever is Yamaha rx-v683Bl

so am I missing something? I keep reading I’m gonna blow them up. It just sounds so good. Without them set to large I feel like I’m missing so much sound.

I run my speakers "large" just have to watch the volume and distortion levels either way you should be able to adjust the front channel crossovers in the large setting just cut out the lowest frequencies and you should be fine. At low to mid volumes I'd just run them wide open no crossover if you like to crank things up crossover the mains at 40-50hz should be good enough to protect most tower speakers assuming they are being driven properly; enough power and not past distortion levels. 

• Like 1

The reason for using "Small" is not because you might "blow-up" something, you won't, it because lots of physically large speakers don't have much output below 40 Hz and most subwoofers do.  In the case of my La Scalas and Heresies, there is not much output below 70 Hz unless they are on the floor and in/near a corner.  Mine arent.  Using "Small" sends music and other main channel info below the chosen crossover to the subwoofer(s) so you can hear/feel it. 

If you like "Large" use it.  In most Pre/Pros the Large setting only sends special effects (bombs, robot stomps) to the subwoofer(s).   Get a decent SPL meter and use it to set your channel balance.