Headphones - can you believe CR?

Colin

As much as I respect their work in many other areas, whenever Consumer Reports writes about something I know a little about, I am surprised by their conclusions.

Speakers are a perfect example, when I read what they say about a loudspeaker, and I have a chance to listen to them briefly in a absolutely horrible auditory environment, I can never see what made them rate a model as good or even very good. Bose 301 Series IVs for example, do not strike me as very musically competent speakers, even for $300 list. Yet, the November 2002 issue of Consumer Reports (page 42) gives the Bose a 89 score for accuracy (ya think they are within 2-dB from 20 to 20,000?) and puts them on the doorstep of "Excellent" sound. They rate a Pioneer model the best and say that a PSB model is "smooth, but slopes from strong midbass to weak treble," (mmm, might be something to what they say, afterall).

But here is the kicker. Five pages later, in a review of brand name headphones (sorry, no Grado) Consumer Reports claims, just like many audio sites and stereo magazines do, that "clear, accurate sound distinguishes the Sennheiser HD570, which tops our Ratings!" This $125 model, which along with its HD580 and HD600 cousins, is revered for its tone at a affordable price, is also placed right at the edge of "Excellent" by them.

I have briefly heard (auditioned is too critical a word to use here) the HD580 and I suspect they may indeed be very good models. CR says the HD570s "emphasized bass and midtreble, reduced upper midrange and low treble." So here again, like the PSB, perhaps tweaking audiophile seek qualities that, while they are not as accurate as can be, are more enjoyable or even musical.

Colin,

These clowns know next to nothing about audio and sound quality.Musicality escapes them,they probably use top 40 and AM radio to test speakers and headpones.This is why they found the B0$e noise makers to sound good.

Any mag(read toilet paper)with positive B0$e reviews deserves to be used as TP and flushed.

An what do they know about quality in the first place? They dont even have a true reference quality gear..as reference!LOL

And WHY OH WHY incompetent peeps are allowed to call themselves REVIEWERS and "review" mediocre products and hype them???Then the average Joe takes lies for honnest truth and wastes his money!

----------------

On 10/21/2002 9:40:28 PM mobile homeless wrote:

Colin, I cant belive you even READ Consumer Reports...for anything more than Washing machines or water makers! Lordy.... They are off 90% of the time. Appear to have gotten lucky here... Accident? heh...

kh
----------------

What is a water maker?...3.gif