Have amp..$600 for speakers and sub. Which ones??

elgrillo

I have not listened to many speakers, but I have had the promedia 5.1's for about a year, and I think they sound great. I love them for movies, which is my dominant factor when choosing speakers. People have complained about that upfront sound, but I guess that is what I love about them. So now I want to get bigger badder speakers. I own a yamaha htr 5280 receiver.

link here: http://www.yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe/DsplyModel/?gAVR00010HTR-5280

So now all I need are speakers. 5.1(including sub) speakers that is. I wanna spend about $600 but I am willing to spend a little more. I am planning on selling the promedias for about $200-$250, so I will have a little more cash. Now I am not soley looking at klipsch, so other brands are welcomed. The room is not very big, but I will be moving to a bigger place next year. I would prefer if they were compact like the promedia's but I don't mind much if they are bigger. THanks for your help guys.

May I suggest the Synergy System 6? With a little shopping on-line, you just might find it in the price range you are looking at?

The Synergy System 6 consists of the following:

SB-1 x 2 bookshelf speakers (fronts)

SC.5 Center channel

SS.5 x 2 surround sound speakers

KSW-10 subwoofer

You can looking under the products section:

Home Audio->Synergy->Synergy System 6

It is relatively small and should be sufficient for your small room as you indicated.

Another option is to surf eBay and see if you can pickup a set of KG series speakers, such as KG2.5 or the like.

How much of an improvement do you think I will get with the synergy system 6? The cheapest that I have seen them for is $700. which is right in my range. Does anyone have any personal experience with them, or possibly a place where I could get them cheaper? How about a store where I could hear them. I live in Dallas so I should have all the major stores around here.

The Synergy System 6 will most definitly be a step up from the ProMedia 5.1s you are used to. There is a dealer locator page on the klipsch site here. Enter your zip-code and it'll suggest some places that sell Klipsch. I am not familier with the Dallas area so I have no idea what you have readily available. I would imagine that there is at least a Tweeter in your area that may have some for you to listen to.

If you go to a good dealer, ask them what they would suggest in your price range. I imagine there are other brands, but I am most familier with Klipsch (thus my initial suggestion, and that you said you like the sound of the ProMedias).

----------------

On 10/22/2002 5:11:52 PM elgrillo wrote:

got any pics's of your speakers? How old are they? Anyone know which are better, klipsch, energy, or Paradigm?

----------------

Unfortunately, that's like asking "which is better - chocolate or vanilla?" It's all a matter of personal taste. Since this is a Klipsch forum, I'd say we would tend to think that Klipsch sound better than Energy or Paradigm. You'll have to listen for yourself.

The idea of buying used Klipsch will definitely get you bigger and badder speakers than you'll find buying new. I also had a KG4/KV3 setup (using SS-1 for rears) and it was waaayyyy badder than the Synergy System 6. You almost don't need a sub with those KG4s. That offer to buy the used ones above might be a very sweet deal indeed.

DD

This is the only photo that I have but it does not show the rear speakers. I have 16" speaker stands for the front and 30" stands for the rear. The speakers are all about 10-15 years old.

KG4 are the walnut oak finish

KV3 Center Channel

KG 1.2 Rear Channel

Patrick

post-9732-13819245567336_thumb.jpg

Click on the link that says attached file. I used these in the bedroom of my apartment, and they sounded very very good. I purchased a radio shack sound meter to do all of my calibrations and drove them with either acurus or rotel multi-channel amps. I bought these instead of reference/synergy because I thought they represented the best value for the price. Am downsizing from 2 systems into 1 2 channel only.

Patrick

----------------

On 10/22/2002 4:50:39 PM elgrillo wrote:

I have seen people reccomend these 2 systems as well.

1.Energy Take 5+1 combo: http://www.energy-speakers.com/take5-2/take51_system.html

2.Paradigm cinema 70: http://www.paradigm.com/Website/SiteParadigmProduct/ParadigmModels/SystemChoice/Cinema70.html

How do you think these systems compare to the synergy's from klipsch?

----------------------------------

Well here is a little background on the 2 company's i am fimliar with

Klipsch is focused on big sound with horn loaded tweeters. In my opinion klipsch has the best sound out of the three.

Energy is the sister company to mirage, if you are fimiliar with mirage they concentrate on a large soudstage that is very blended so you don't know where the speakers are thus the name. The Engerys you were probably recomended with cost about $500 for the 5 speakers alone, in my opinion sound worse than the 5.1's,but they might have recomended something else to you. The Klipsch subs once again in my opinion blow away mirage/energy, the bass is so much tighter and acurate. They aren't as loud, but if you are into sound quality and bass that sounds good I'd say go with Klisch. The mirage/eergy subs are louder, but the bass is looser and its just noise, it alost sounds like one big note, but it will rattle your house and your neighbors apart. If you go to Tweeter they will probably try to sell you the mirages which would be the same as the energy but a different name. I am not to familiar with paridigm, but from what i have heard and read from other audiophiles i would say that they are very good as well. At one point i owned mirages, the frx series which was very good but to big for my purposes. The clairty is about equal to any other company and the bass is very good. I would look into the frx 3's (

the bookshelf speakers) fxc and frx r's, but go with a klipsch sub, If i were you I would go the Klipsch route, soley because this is a klipsch forum, i won klipsch, all my friends own klipsch, and the brand is a living legend, it speakes for itself.

Alright guys after much debate with my significant other, I have decided to get a small job, soley to increase my budget on the speakers. So now my budget is $1000 for the complete system. Not much of an increase from $600 but its better that nothing. So do I now have more options or are they still about the same.

pe3046: although I am sure that your klipsch's sound great, I was hoping to find something a bit newer. I appreciate your offer though and would love to hear some suggestions from you.

The last time I helped someone put together a system there budget was about $500 and total including receiver. I worked them out a system featuring quintets (like the promedia in size except the sub is a 10) and onkyo lower end receiver. He went with cambridge soundworks first (about $900) for the whole system. After hearing them on a 30 day trial, he decided to return them and get the klipsch. But this time after hearing the system he went with a Onkyo Tx787 THX receiver and a full reference line of speakers, and could not be more happy with his setup.

That being said, I love Klipsch speakers for home theater. When watching a movie with my system the dialog and voices just sound real. You are no longer just merely watching a movie, but are part of the auditory and visual stimuli envelope you. The Klipsch can soundstage like no other speaker I have ever heard coupled with the horn's make for a dynamic experience.

In the price range, I did not see any other competitors that came even close to used Klipsch speakers in the price range. I think you would have to spend about 1400+ on new klipsch to get the same "size" of sound that you can get for $725 by buying used.

If your budget were larger, and you are not sure you want klipsch then you can look at http://www.axiomaudio.com and build a system built around VP150 Center, M22ti Front, QS4(or which ever model you can afford) and matching stands. This will run you about $1600 without a subwoofer I think. It all depends on where you are living if you need a sub or not. I always think it is a good idea to skip the sub till you have really gotten used to hearing what the music should sound like, and then bring the sub in and work on integrating it to where it is seamless.

My opinion, by used regardless of what you buy (the difference between used and new is about $700, for that price you could get a nice 5 channel amp (receivers quality of power is not the best you miss a lot of detail and emotion) like a Rotel RB-985THX 150X5 or a Acurus and then you will start to hear what your speakers can do. Check out

http://www.audiogon.com

I have bought almost my entire 2 systems from here. The members of the community are of the highest caliber and are honest sellers.

Patrick