5.1 TO 6.1 MATCHING SPEAKERS???

Dale W

I'm checking out some new procesors to update my system from 5.1 to 6.1 or 7.1. I'm not to sure about what speakers to use for the side channel or rear center channel????

I need something thats going to match up with the front k-horns and rear lascalas. I'm not sure if the rear center should be the same as the front center cf-7. Should the side channel speakers be bi-polar ?? I really don't want to spend the money and not get something thats going to work well. Any ideas boys ??11.gif

Check out the "surrounds for hornhounds" thread for some info and opinions, as it's dealing with pretty much the same issues.

I've got k-horns in front, with a belle soon to be inserted as a center speaker. I currently use an old pair of Infinity Studio Monitors in the back corners. Space is a bit of an issue for me. How about you?

If it is, and you are happy with the C7 in front, then I see no reason why another C7 wouldn't be satisfactory in the center/back position.

For the side surrounds, your la scalas may be hard to beat. Sure, RS7's would give you a more diffuse sound, but would not provide as seemless a match, timbre-wise, with your horns as the LS's. If that is critical. I'm still not sure about that. I think it depends upon how the sound mixers use the surround channels, and what you listen to or prefer.

I'm thinking space is always a issue for almost everyone except the extremly rich.I have seen guy's use a belle for a center before, my olny issue with that is placement, either it sits beside the tv or god forbid on top!!!!

I personaly think the belle is the best looking speaker made by klipsch.Are you thinking about changing your rears in the future? Anyway thanx for the imput, i'm still struggling with this issue but i'm sure between us all we'll get it sorted out.15.gif

For 7.1, unless your room is huge, bipolar speakers seem impractical. The piont of a pipolar is to dispurse sound over 180 degrees. 4 speakers dispursing over 180 degrees will probably result in cancelation, unless your the same exact distance from each speaker. Since space is a concern, you could go for 4 rb-3s? I'm not sure how this would blend w/ the K-horns though.

dale, i have a C7 between cornwall surrounds. the C7 is a nice lil speaker & matches pretty well to the cornwalls/heritage. could you move the las in for side surrounds? then use one or two C7 for rear surround. at least there you'd have a good match-up w/ your C7 front center for front-back effects.

of course your best timbre match would be to use other heritage. like a belle or las center, or a heresy for space reasons. then the las as surrounds & one or two heresy for rear surround.

Dale, I never really considered a heritage center... until I played around and tried it. Now I am one of those that fall into your "God forbid on top" category. I am designing a custom entertainment center that will house an inverted Belle as my center channel. Because my RPTV is about 20" wider than the Belle, I am incorporating a small cabinet on either side of the Belle for DVD storage. I was using a KLF-C7 as my center between two La Scalas, and thought it sounded pretty good. Until I tried another La Scala in the middle, then... so much for thinking the C7 was any good. With the center channel being the most dominant channel in any HT, I knew I was going to have to find a way to make it work. To each his own, but a C7 between two Khorns????14.gif Try one of your La Scalas, you might just decide to find a way to make it work!9.gif

Dillon W : You may very well be correct.I may give your idea a try,i'm sure a lascala or belle is much more sensitive than the CF-7.I just don't know were i would place it,my toshiba 55" is a very tall tv and even to build a cabinet above it i would need at least a 9'ceiling.The biggest problem with using the heritage series is there size no matter were your putting them.I don't want to remove the lascalas from the rear because while playing cd's i switch my proccesor to 4 channel and use the k-horns and lascalas.Maybe i'll just pick up another pair of k-horns for the rear and try the lascalas on the sides or frame the tv with them and run dual centers.NOW THAT WOULD KICK SOME ***.11.gif

ERIKJOHN: No worries there, you gave me a good chuckle.kinda livens up my day at work.I love the US , your the ones the seem to come to everyones defence when there not able.I'm just really sorry your people have to suffer from the decisions your goverment makes. I consider all of us as north americans there is little or no difference between our cultures.Were all very lucky to live in a time and place that we can talk openly to one another.lets work on keeping it that way.

your's truly :Dale2.gif

Dale- You may want to consider the solution NOZ is looking for... the industrial split La Scala. You could mount the bass bin on top, with the mid and tweeter below. It opens a couple more options should you choose to use a La Scala. On that note, you can also split the Belles, they would look better and the top of a Belle (when split) looks like a center channel. - Just a thought. You might be able to split a set of industrial La Scalas or Belles with NOZ, check out his post.

DILLON W: I gave the lascala a shot at the center channel spot on the weekend and you were right. Big change,you can hear things that i never heard before.Just might have to modify my plans now. I'm begining to hate this forum, it's starting to cost me money !!! lol.9.gif

I presently have a Heresy II as a center between La Scalas. I'm thinking about getting the 40" Sony XBR CRT TV, which is a fairly large unit that weighs about 300 lb. I haven't taken any specific measurements of the TV, but I thought that it might be possible to place it on top of a third La Scala center channel. The Heresy and La Scala combo sounds great as it is, but three La Scalas up front would be fantastic! Has anyone tried putting their TV on top of a La Scala?

Dan

Q-MAN

YOU! Your the one who did it! And it was an earilier version of that very same picture too.7.gif My living room is littered with heritage.9.gif Only I don't have the same kind of space as you to put them all. So I just want to say "Thank You!" It sounds great, but I just wish I had some corners for some Khorns.8.gif You are some kind of Klipsch HT superhero in my book! Of course, my wife might not see things quite the same way.11.gif

No horn too big

No horn too small

The collection of heritage

Could fill up a mall.

He'll shiver your timbers,

You'll lose what you found,

He can shake tall buildings

With a single sound.

So forget SPL meters

Your turning quite pale

If the Q-MAN is here

Bring out the Richter Scale.