Suggestion on speaker choice and placement for a long narrow room

klipsch168

I am new to Home Theater and planning to finish my basement with a HT, mostly used for movie watching. Currently, I am thinking of the following setup:

1. Ceiling mounted projector; 2. 120'' projector screen on the short wall, 3. a 7.1 system or 7.1.2 system, still debating. (a 5.1 system is also an option if a 7.1 is hard to arrange).

My basement has a dimension of 13.5' x 29' x 8'  (Width x Length x Height). See details in the attached diagram and potential speakers choice and placement. 

The wife prefers no speaker on floor because of the play area. If there has to be, they should be movable. I am thinking maybe two floorstanding ones for RL or RR if feasible. 

Since the Left (SL) and Right (SR) speakers have to be mounted on the side walls, I am concerned the speakers will be too close to the listeners. For the RL and RR speakers in 7.1 system, I am also concerned that they are too far away if they are installed on the rear wall.

Any suggestions for the speaker placement and choices would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

basement-layout.thumb.png.9dd2347a64e302a9a7afc57b30c957ee.png

@klipsch168,

Sorry we have not shown politeness by neglecting this thread but I will try to redeem us.

Welcome to the forum.

Like the fancy diagram.:emotion-21:

Your basement layout is very doable for home theater and it does appear that you have most figured out pretty well. 

I suggest going with larger mains(fronts) like the RP-6000Fs or RP-8000Fs(or previous models RP-260F, RP-280F) or RF-280FA for Atmos with the appropriate matching center speaker.  For rear surrounds what about ceiling mounts?  Your ceiling is on the low side at 8ft so they should work fine.  I definitely would not place them in the far rear of the room at 16ft or more behind the sofa.

No mention of subwoofers so I suggest at minimum a single 15" but two 15" would be much better to pressurize that room.

If you look at my signature profile, Family Room(5.2 System), I am only running 5.1(with two subwoofers) due to huge open room(family room, kitchen, nook) with 12ft ceilings.  Rear speakers are not possible(rear wall 18ft behind main seating position) nor rear ceiling speakers due to height.  Even with my minimalist system, it still rocks the room.

I have no experience with Atmos so can't say either way there.

I am sure others will chime in soon.

Bill

• Like 2

On 4/30/2019 at 8:54 PM, klipsch168 said:

The wife prefers no speaker on floor because of the play area. If there has to be, they should be movable. I am thinking maybe two floorstanding ones for RL or RR if feasible. 

Welcome to the forum, looks like a great room to have some fun in. Fireplaces tend to dictate room set up but unless the 120" screen is an electric (or manual) drop down it may be a moot point. Have you considered building a false wall utilizing an acoustical transparent (AT) screen? That's why I brought up the fireplace as it would no longer be in play but would allow the speakers to be hidden.

https://www.google.com/search?q=false+wall+home+theater&client=firefox-b-1-d&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiX2NzG-YHiAhVHRKwKHRhgBlUQ7AkoAXoECAsQDQ&biw=1280&bih=596&dpr=1.5

On 5/4/2019 at 6:38 AM, willland said:

@klipsch168,

Sorry we have not shown politeness by neglecting this thread but I will try to redeem us.

Welcome to the forum.

Like the fancy diagram.:emotion-21:

Your basement layout is very doable for home theater and it does appear that you have most figured out pretty well. 

I suggest going with larger mains(fronts) like the RP-6000Fs or RP-8000Fs(or previous models RP-260F, RP-280F) or RF-280FA for Atmos with the appropriate matching center speaker.  For rear surrounds what about ceiling mounts?  Your ceiling is on the low side at 8ft so they should work fine.  I definitely would not place them in the far rear of the room at 16ft or more behind the sofa.

No mention of subwoofers so I suggest at minimum a single 15" but two 15" would be much better to pressurize that room.

If you look at my signature profile, Family Room(5.2 System), I am only running 5.1(with two subwoofers) due to huge open room(family room, kitchen, nook) with 12ft ceilings.  Rear speakers are not possible(rear wall 18ft behind main seating position) nor rear ceiling speakers due to height.  Even with my minimalist system, it still rocks the room.

I have no experience with Atmos so can't say either way there.

I am sure others will chime in soon.

Bill,

I would definitely consider more powerful speakers and subwoofer(s). A 5.1(.4) with Atmos is my current plan. A 7.1 with rear speakers in ceiling is still in the consideration too. :)

Thanks.

On 5/4/2019 at 9:25 AM, TasDom said:

Welcome to the forum, looks like a great room to have some fun in. Fireplaces tend to dictate room set up but unless the 120" screen is an electric (or manual) drop down it may be a moot point. Have you considered building a false wall utilizing an acoustical transparent (AT) screen? That's why I brought up the fireplace as it would no longer be in play but would allow the speakers to be hidden.

https://www.google.com/search?q=false+wall+home+theater&client=firefox-b-1-d&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiX2NzG-YHiAhVHRKwKHRhgBlUQ7AkoAXoECAsQDQ&biw=1280&bih=596&dpr=1.5

I was planning to just hide the fireplace behind the projector screen. A false wall might be a better idea. Thanks.