vinyl step up transformer question

dubai2000

In a previous thread I mentioned that in my recent vinyl experiences I have come across a locally produced tube phono stage which I found very convincing in terms of spatial presentation of the sound picture. The soundstage not only moved in front of the speakers, but also became so three dimensional that you got the feeling of being able to (almost) walk between the musicians (on a good recording). What I didnt like though was the tonal balance. Using a different step up transformer helped a bit, but not quite. I spoke to the phono amps owner and he suggested trying different resistors in combination with the transformer to achieve an ideal matching with the cartridge (- he explained how to fix those resistors in the signal path so I assume this is possible?). Now my question: is this indeed a possibility to influence the tonal balance of a cartridge/transformer/phono stage combo or is he just trying to be a good salesman? (Until now I have found him to be quite trustworthy only a bit pricey). Any comments on the (possible?) sound differences of transformers would be appreciated.

BTW: When I tried an Audio Note transformer one could switch between high and low (impedance?) and with the SPU the low setting was certainly more musical.

Wolfram

Dubai,

Transformers can be made flexible (as some AN models) but this is a question of multiple primary windings and not resistors. Given this fact, apparently your supplier wants to introduce resistance between the first gain stage (i.e. the transformer) and the second (i.e. the tubed phono preamp...I have never personally tried this solution but I know from experience, that correctly mating a MC cartridge to a step-up transformer can be a very tedious job. So, I believe that if your supplier's solution does not give you full satisfaction, you might keep the second gain stage and try other step-up solutions (transformers or active ones).

Good luck,

arco,

I wish I could have used your words to describe my suppliers intention....

So I understand that technically speaking what has been suggested IS possible. I might give it a try provided the person comes up with a transformer as the small AN I had borrowed is already gone (and was rather pricey anyway). He suggests trying an Ortofon T30. Any comments?

Wolfram

Dubai,

The T30 is obviously a good piece of work to which, one could add - among others - items made both by DENON and LUNDAHL (in Sweden...). But in this "trickiest" form of Hi-Fi synergy a good transfo is the one that best mates both with your cartridge and your phono stage. Just to give you an example, I once heard the really excellent results the DENON DL-103 cartridge (which is low output indeed...)could give, mated with a transformer DENON used to make specially for that model. Being myself a DL-103 owner at that time, I quickly bought the trans which in my system, combined with my phono stage, almost "robbed" the music of its dynamics!!! That's what I call "Money down the drain"...

To cut a long story short, I would strongly recommend that you let your dealer do the job for you, until you are happy with the end result. You can then pay the asking price, knowing that it will anyhow be lower than the cost of doing the job yourself. And, best of all, without the psychological strain implied by this kind of adventure!

Arco,

thanks a lot for your input. I certainly wouldn't buy anything 'blind' i.e. without having tried it in my system. I have used this particular phono stage now with two transformers (the T 30 not being one of them) and the sound was clearly different (so were ´different cable btw.). The only problem is that trying this phono stage means getting a transformer from somewhere (as the one he used to use in his system clearly doesn't fit into mine). But perhaps I'll forget about the whole thing for a while and consider a Wright Audio phono unit (as suggested by mh) though that would mean buying 'blind' again...

Wolfram

Dubai,

If you go for a blind purchase, at least see that the chosen unit offers you some flexibility in altering input resistance and (less important...) capacitance. Last but not least, why not try the DACT CT-100 (www.dact.com)? I own it, so I can certify it's an excellent phono stage with maximum flexibility and costing a pittance! Of course, you have also to build (or buy...) a power supply for it and also put it in a box. Whatever...It will still cost a pittance compared to the competition and this, without performance compromises. Just see the "ABSOLUTE SOUND" test - among others - in their site, to be convinced.

Arco,

it sounds like an interesting unit, but having moved from ss to tubes I wouldn't mind trying tubes as a phono stage as well. Also as no DIY person I would rely on someone (who?) to get this thing ready for me. BTW: you haven't heard it with an SPU haven't you? Still, when the time comes I'll keep it in mind....

Wolfram