LaScala Problems

DVois

I just bought a pair of 1979 raw birch LaScala's all still with factory drives. The cabinets are on life support and I can't pull the plug just yet, going to try to save them if I can. The question I have is the speakers have the "AL" crossovers, but I am getting nothing out of the woofers on either one. The story behind the speakers is that they might have been used for a gararge band to rehearse on (not sure). There hasn't been any special modifications to the speakers that I can see. I took off the bottom to look at the woofer's and everything looks great. Thanks guys.

Doug

You need to check the continuity of the woofer's voice coil. You can use a volt meter to check resistance. It should be about 3.2 ohms. Alternately, you can remove the leads to the woofer from the ctossover and rub the connectors across the ends of a 1.5 volt battery. if you get noise, the woofers are O.K. and the crossover is bad. If not the woofer is bad, or the wiring to it is. The woofer can be reconed at Klipsch for about $75 each.

John