anyone looking for CORNWALL Is ???

DANOCASTER

Allan said:

"I've seen early 70's vintage Cornwalls with mud magnets on the woofers, so I think the change from Alnico on the woofers must have been in the late 60's or early 70's?"

It seems that Klipsch went to mud magnet woofers much earlier than with the mid's and tweets. My 77 Heresy's for example, look to have mud magnet woofers while still retaining the Alnico mid's and tweets.

I've never seen a K33 with a round magnet, maybe too much is read into the round vs. square shape of the magnets? I'm not aware of any square alnico's? Anybody see a square alnico magnet?

Tom

Edit: spell "Allan" correctly

I've got a HUGE problem when trying to contribute to this debate. I've got a boatloat of GREAT Klipsch speakers and a paucity of good amps. My Eico is out for repair but what I need is a great SET amp for an audition.

My Cornwall II's have alnicos ... but I swapped the B crossovers for Al's ... and like them a bit better. Problem is, in retrospect, I never drove them with a good source or amp. What a chump I am. Still, I've got some killer speakers in this house and need a bunch of talent to make them sound great (although the HF-81 is the most musical amp I've ever heard ... PERIOD). I'm going to reserve all judgments until I have a great room and a great SET stage.

If these things didn't weigh a 1000 lbs, I'd be pleased to share them with you all.

Tom---I've seen K-33s with round ferrite magnets, owned one. The Cornwalls shown on my website have one round ferrite K-33E and one square ferrite K-33E. I think many confuse round ferrite magnets with Alnico magnets which usually had round return structures and often round decorative magnet covers, like Altec 803s and 416s had.

I've seen old Alnico magnet speakers like Jensens and such with square return structures over Alnico slugs.

www.chicagohornspeakerclub.org