Timbre Dilemma...

jstanton8

Evidently I have a problem. I'm using a KLF-C7 as a center channel for K-horn mains. I understand that the C7 is by no means the best possible timbre match for K-Horns. However, the rear surrounds in this case are KLF-30s. So what would you do? Use the KLF-30's for mains and use the K-Horns for SURROUNDS? Aaargh! Jesus save me!

What I'm getting at is just how important IS timbre matching? Important enough to relegate K-Horns to rear surround status?

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would be the most painless fix ($-wise) for this conundrum?

Hey Doug:

Sure. The Yamaha DSP-A1 has a "No" setting for the center speaker as well as at least a dozen or so surround "phantom" DSP (digital sound processing) modes in which the center channel is not used.

But unless I'm missing something here, in "phantom mode" you have no center channel. That'd sort of be an "end run" around the whole timbre matching question, wouldn't it? And in that case I could just dispose of my C7 altogether, seeings how it's not going to be used...

So I suppose then I should ditch the C7 or trade it in for....????????

Thanks,

JStanton

6.gif

Hey JS

JT is right, you need to let your ears decide. But Im warning you, once you hear a LAS as a center between your khorns, you will wonder how you were ever happy with the C7.

You definetely want to stay in the Heritage family. The heritage just has a different sound than the others. I think JT's Heresy is the smallest you would want to go between Khorns.

I tried one and two heresy's in my HT and thought they sounded "smaller" in between the mightly Khorns. But that may be because my room is large, 22' wide by 34' deep. Maybe in a smaller room where you are closer to the center, it may sound better.

JM

----------------

Hey j-malotky, JT and ddrake:

I took a look at the Belle and La Scala on the Klipsch site. I forgot they were so big! Could one feasibly set a 32" 150 lb. TV ON TOP of a Belle or La Scala to use as a center channel? The reason I ask is because I can see that any other sort of placement for speaker(s) that big is going to presnt a problem.

And can you even GET a single Belle or La Scala?

As for the Heresys, do you all think TWO of those used for centers in a relatively small room (15' X 13" X 8 ft.) might be an acceptable alternative to the LaScala/Belle route?

One last queastion: are any of these speakers obtainable used, and do you know approx. what new ones would cost?

Thanks,

Jstanton

JS

Check Ebay. There are always LAS, Belles and Heresy's on Ebay. Sometimes singles.

The Heresy will sound a lot beter than the C7. You could look for a pair and use them for surrounds if they don't work as a center for you.

A LAS sure would be able to hold a 32" 150 lb TV. Would put it at a good height as well.

The room size....and if you will like the Heresy as a center.... Who knows for sure. I can tell you with confidance that you will like it better than C7.

In my case - I prefer the sound of the K400 (khorn, LAS squawker)rather than the K700 (heresy) in between my Khorns.

Where are you located, I wonder if anybody in your area can give you an audition to there systems?

JM

If it is black, I may be interested in the C7. I used a C7 between two La Scalas and thought it sounded good.... until I tried another La Scala. I need another C7 so I can use them for my front effects. If I can ever bring myself to part with it, I will have an extra walnut Belle when I get my second set of La Scalas refinished, but that may not be until spring or summer next year. I think your TV would look great perched on a Belle!10.gif The Belle is 30" wide verses the 24" of a La Scala. You would have less hanging over the edges. NOTHING beats a total heritage HT!! Good Luck!!

My C7 is mahogany...oh well, keep me in mind if & when you need to get rid of the Belle.

I wasn't really sure if this timbre matching thing was all that important, but after hearing from you guys it seems that if a Heritage center is what's really needed for K-Horn HT, then I guess that's what's needed...

PS Also have a couple of black KLF-30s I've been using for surrounds...I imagine those are going to have to go too, huh? Okay I GOT A C7 AND 2 KLF-30S TO TRADE!!

(Well, at least my center and surrounds are timbre matched, eh?) But I guess there's no relative merit to that...

Thanks,

JStanton

I have the same problem. I would have loved to use a Belle as the center, the preferred approach, but as you also noticed it is to big to be practical. I thought about using a Heresy in the middle but decided it was also quite large. I believe I originally chose the C7 as it was recommended by Klipsch. I did not know about the timbre match problem until I read about it on this web site. I love the sound overall, so I pretend not to have read about the "problem" of timbre matching... "ignorance is bliss"