Where Can I Find This??

Wino

I have a pair of Klipsch RF-3 speakers. I just moved to a new city and hooked up my speakers and I noticed that the left speaker didn't sound right. It's not producing the high end (treble) that the right one is. I checked the hook-up and noticed that I'm missing one metal tab that connects the top speaker inputs to the bottom speaker inputs. 2 Questions:

1. Most importantly, where can I get one of these metal tabs? It's got to be REAL cheap but I don't know where to find it!

2. Why does Klipsch have two speaker inputs? None of my other speakers have 2 inputs, so I'm wondering why they do this.

I believe that the purpose of separate terminals is to allow "bi-amping" the speaker. I gather from this forum, from those that seem to know a little more than I do, that the jury is still out regarding the true audio value of this bi-amping arrangement. I would think that Klipsch can send you a replacement part. Good luck and welcome.

Dan

Wino,

No need to waste time on ordering that, you can safely replace it with a strap of cable you use to connect speakers to receiver. It will be equivalent (if not better) than the metal plate. As a matter of fact, many recommend replacing these metal plates with speaker wire. The way to do it is cut a piece of speaker wire long enough to connect the LF and HF binding posts, then take of the insulation on both ends and screw on the caps. Connect your speaker wire as usually. And even better would be to bi-wire, that is remove the metal plates altogether, and have separate runs of cable from the LF and HF binding posts to the receiver -- you will have two wires going into the receiver + and another two wires going into the receiver -.

Hope this helps,

Vladi

vddobrev - THANK YOU!! I REALLY appreciate the advice, it worked great and now my speakers sound terrific again. That makes an unbelievable difference not having the posts connected. Speaker wire as you recommended works great.

----------------

On 10/30/2002 7:53:42 PM vddobrev wrote:

Wino,

No need to waste time on ordering that, you can safely replace it with a strap of cable you use to connect speakers to receiver. It will be equivalent (if not better) than the metal plate.

----------------

Hey that's a good idea. I have my fronts and center biwired, but not my rear cente which is a RC7.... I think I will replace those plates with real speaker wire.

wino, outa curiousity which did you do - biwire or replace the straps w/ wire?

here's a hint from boaise - when replacing gold straps w/ wire, instead of messing w/ 4 short lengths of wire, simply measure & strip enough bare wire off each lead to thread through both top & bottom posts. iow, the same wire is running through both. you'll probably have to run through the low posts 1st, but that doesn't make any dif.

that's how i did my rf before i got the biwire cables. 2.gif

I just replaced the straps with wire. I cut two short pieces of speaker wire, stripped the insulation off both ends and attached the right top post to the right bottom post and did the same with the left posts. I can't say at this point that it sounds better than how it did with the metal strap, but it certainly sounds just as good. But in my case because I lost the metal strap it sounds remarkably better than having nothing. My ears are happy now.

----------------

On 10/31/2002 1:49:27 AM boa12 wrote:

wino, outa curiousity which did you do - biwire or replace the straps w/ wire?

here's a hint from boaise - when replacing gold straps w/ wire, instead of messing w/ 4 short lengths of wire, simply measure & strip enough bare wire off each lead to thread through both top & bottom posts.

----------------

Hey thats a great idea. Thats like that aukums therory (spelling) "All things being equal, the simplest answer is the best" or something like that 9.gif