Dolby digital 6.1discreet +surrounds

newbiesacto

Does anyone know if dolby is close to bringing out discreet 6.1 decoding to compete with dts discreet?I don't want to buy the new denon4802 if the next version has discreet 6.1 decoding.I know there is no software but I'm looking to the future.Also won't monopole rears be better for discreet 6.1? I read a great debate btwn HornEd and Keith back in Apr.For a bridge btwn now and the future should I get 2rb3's or 5's and 2 WDST's or 4 mono's or 4 WDST's. I'm so confused.

I don't think that will happen any time soon. The DVD standard would have to be changed. I'd almost be willing to bet it won't happen until a hi-def DVD is introduced. Then all bets are off! (discreet 7.1, anyone?)

I agree; it is confusing, with manufacturers playing the "how many channels can we cram into a $400. receiver" game.14.gif

Some Denon receivers provide for use of two pair of surround (side) speakers which would allow you use a pair of WDST type speakers for HT and perhaps a pair of monopoles (matching your fronts) for multichannel music. You can then switch between either pair. You also have connections for a pair of surround back speakers (you CAN use only one) which is usually a monopole. Most people seem to use a speaker identical to their front center speaker.

The thread you spoke of didn't even resemble a debate. The other party never allowed me to present my opinion in a manner that could be understood. I understand his psyche, as I work with bull$hitters of even higher caliber daily.

I'm convinced that most people haven't a clue as to the purpose of a surround speaker.

Keith

new, if you're concerned about obsolecence, get a receiver or pre/pro that sounds good to your ears AND w/ easy upgradibility through an rs-232 port. for example, like b&k receivers & pre/pros.

i'm a proponent of using directs for REAR SURROUNDS (sorry don't have the bold function). i think i stated the reasons why on that other thread - anchoring the surround sound, filling the gap, & fly-over effect w/ dts es 6.1 discrete.

but even there, & even more so w/ SURROUNDS as Keith & Ed were discussing, there is no cut & dried answer. the only way to really find out what's best for you is to home demo the 2 types that match & fit your budget at your place w/ all the various source materials & modes you use.

if you're set on the denon, keith makes a great point w/ that A/B surrounds feature on the denon. you can have wdst for movies & directs for music like in a recording studio.

• 1 year later...

----------------

On 11/2/2002 6:25:44 AM T2K wrote:

Some Denon receivers provide for use of two pair of surround (side) speakers which would allow you use a pair of WDST type speakers for HT and perhaps a pair of monopoles (matching your fronts) for multichannel music. You can then switch between either pair. You also have connections for a pair of surround back speakers (you CAN use only one) which is usually a monopole. Most people seem to use a speaker identical to their front center speaker.

The thread you spoke of didn't even resemble a debate. The other party never allowed me to present my opinion in a manner that could be understood. I understand his psyche, as I work with bull$hitters of even higher caliber daily.

I'm convinced that most people haven't a clue as to the purpose of a surround speaker.

Keith

----------------

Hi Keith,

You said some people only use one speaker for rear center. I have a Denon 3801 and would like to know which terminal to plug into if I'm going to use one rear center speaker. Thanks,

Mike

----------------

On 5/1/2004 3:23:52 PM mlh wrote:

----------------

On 11/2/2002 6:25:44 AM T2K wrote:

Keith

----------------

Hi Keith,

You said some people only use one speaker for rear center. I have a Denon 3801 and would like to know which terminal to plug into if I'm going to use one rear center speaker. Thanks,

Mike

----------------

You need to break out your owner's manual (go here http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/AVR3801DFU.pdf if you don't have one) and goto page 12. It's listed down at the bottom of the page... "To use surround back with one speaker, connect the speaker to the SURR. BACK L CH."

Before you do that though, you'll need to go into the setup and activate the back speakers as well as choosing the single speaker option. Or if you have a really big room you can choose to use 2 surround back speakers for a 7.1 setup.

Home Theater: Denon AVR-4800, Chorus II, KLF-C7, Def Tech BP2X, Def Tech PF15TL+, Sony CDP-102, Pioneer DV-563A.

2-Channel: Carver 6250, Cornwalls WO (1976), Sony DVP-S5500.

Just laying around: Pioneer SX-3800.