The Ring, and low bass.

WMcD

This weekend I saw the movie "The Ring".

The premise is that if one views a certain video tape, you'll die in seven days. The images are bit reminiscent of Bunell's "Andaluvian Dog" (sp???? very much; ). And there are nods to Hitchcock.

But, I bring it up because, like in other modern movies, there is a bass note, maybe at the lowest limits of the system, and not intrusive, to signal evil. Well done. I wonder if it this is reproduced in all movie theaters and whether home systems will reproduce it.

Gil

I'm not familiar with "The Ring".

Is the tone in question related directly to that particular film, or are you speaking in general terms?

Kind of like the obscure pre-cursor to impending danger?

The infamous "JAWS" effect, perhaps?

It seems to then be a question of differing formats and the capability of a system to reproduce them.

In HT, it would stand to reason that the "tones" should be including on the LFE track.

Faithful reproduction of those tones would then soley be reliant upon the limitations of the system being used.

Of course, the same can be said about commercial cinema.

The audio processors/loudspeakers used are bound to differ from theater to theater. (if ever so slightly)

I would imagine the presence of those tones in their entirety would vary as well.

Is that sort of what you're pondering?

BTW. How was the movie?

I heard a reviewer on TV refer to "THE RING" as "a poor man's "THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT" ...I'm laughing at that comment all over again!

I would think (chime in if I'm wrong here) that a decent system with a subwoofer you would hear the low frequency, but not necesarily at the same level you heard it at the theater, depending on the sub of course.

Gil, when you mention "THE ANDALUSIAN DOG" by Brunel and famed artist Salvador Dali, my eyes start blinking uncontrolably. I remember sitting through a class in college when the Professor kept replaying the eyeball slashing scene explaing how they used a pig's eyeball for the close-up with the razor-blade.

Dave

The movie was pretty good. It had a nice style and interesting plot. There was something a bit artsie and a bit off beat about it.

The bass effect seemed just about right in that theater, a newer cineplex in the city.

There is really no telling whether the level in that showing was what the director wanted, or whether it will be the same in any given home theater.

Gil

I'm going to have to check it out.

Off beat cinema always strikes my interest.

Some off the best films i've seen are construed as such.

Then again, I've been accused of being "off beat" a time or two....

Gil, as you know, the theaters today have gotten their audio down to an exact science.9.gif

We could call up the films' audio engineer and ask him.

He would surely know if the tone exists in the master copy. LOL.