Starting with KLF10 doing BIG upgrade advise?

ledzeprep

Well here it is,system as it stands is

Onkyo TX-840 (Anyone know what the power rating for this is?)

Onkyo TA 2200 tape

Onkyo DX-C320 cd

KLF 10 Mains

Older system, dont even have surround.

Will be getting

Onkyo TXDS989 or TXDS 787

(Need to rationalize 1200.00 diff)

KLF 30 for the mains

KLF 10 for rears (existing)

KSW 15 sub (will I need ?)

any suggestions on a center?

I will use system 65% audio 35% HT

Is there a better sub for the same $ that will do better? And finally, should I ad anything else? (speakers, wires,etc)

This will be in a 19x 22ft room. \Thanks

cruzer, are u saying the klf-20 taste better than the 30s? biggrin.gif just joshin anyway.

w/ the 30s or 20s I think u need a big bad a** sub biggrin.gif klipsch has some new ones coming like late may that look like killers. more high end price-wise too though. haven't tried a ksw, but wonder how much they can really add to klf, especially for music...

there are those other brands too biggrin.gif...

------------------

Klipsch KLF-30 (front), KLF-C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster Z-12 cable

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!

I have been told by Klipsch that the KLF 30's "have a more bass inclined tonal balance" then the other Legends. It was also mentioned that if you are the type of guy that finds his smile growing when the slam bam boom is at it's loudest and best that you are a 30's kind of guy.

With this said I think the 20's and 30's both offer individual bests. Which one is better? That depends entirely apon the individual and his or her individual liking.

i didn't mean to start a 30 vs. 20 debate; looks like ledzep is going for the 30s anyway biggrin.gif rw makes a good point - i am that slam bam boom kinda guy biggrin.gif - but listen & get what u like best.

------------------

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

rock on!

Id like to preface my comments with a disclaimer that speakers sound different to different people. With that out of the way

Two weeks ago I just upgraded my speaker system. I had two Klipsch KLF-20s for mains and some really crappy speakers (I wont even mention the brands they were that bad) for the center channel and the surrounds.

When I purchased the KLF-20s five years ago I thought they sounded better than the KLF-30s. To me the sound was tighter and less bass-laden in the 20s and they were considerably cheaper at that particular time, so I went with the smaller KLF-20s. I also made this choice because I already owed an M&K MX-200 (www.mksound.com) subwoofer. I knew that Id easily make up for any booming bass hits with the subwoofer.

I just recently got the KLF-C7 to finally match up my center with the mains and the improvement from that one speaker alone made a phenomenal difference in my DVD movies. I no longer needed to boost the center channel in order to get the same sound output, and everything was at the factory default flat setting, no equalizer needed. It sounds crisp and clean. I finally dont have to turn up the volume to hear whispering on the screen and then turn it down again before any action scenes.

I also replaced the rear speakers I had with RS-3s. This made a minimal difference but at least I can now hear the subtleties again without having the rear channel adjusted at +10.

You may get different mileage in a different room but in my living room the sound is great at low listening levels and a tad overwhelming when turned up. Id recommend (as does Klipsch) going with the KLF-C7 for the center channel. The front channels are really up to personal preference.

As for a subwoofer, I wouldnt recommend getting one at first. Try out the speakers. If you think they lack some bass get a sub. Unfortunately I cant recommend going with a Klipsch sub. I think its the ONLY thing they havent gotten quite right yet. Go to a place where you can compare subs if you can. There are several others available at the same price that I feel are better sounding. Check out the Sunfire True Sub Junior - it goes for $800 retail and takes up a fraction of the space.

Good luck!

thump on brother! biggrin.gif

------------------

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

2nd room:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage '75)

Technics 5-disk cd player

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None

rock on!

Well thanks for all the imput smile.gif Im getting alot closer to "pulling the trigger" on the new system. I'm probaly gonna go with the 20s,and let the sub pick up the balance at the lower end. the Onkyo 787 is a much better buy than the 989.I will definitly be getting a C-7 center, and thinking hard about the SVS 20-39cs. Im still curous about wattage output of old reciever to use on the sub. might just get the s-700 for it. Any thoughts or opinions on raising the klf10s 24" or so to get a better rear sound.

I could only find the stats for the Onkyo TX-830 and those were as follows:

"58 watts per channel into 8 ohms, 20Hz to 20kHz with no more than 0.08% total harmonic distortion"

I assume the TX-840 isn't far off of those specs.

Receivers are a really big personal preference due to familiarity and design as well as connectivity and features. I'm a Sony lover myself and I'd look into the STR-V444ES or the like if you're going to get a new receiver. I know the Onkyo 787 has six powered channels but if you're not going to use all of those channels then you might be able to find a nice looking functional receiver of a different brand.

Of course if you are trying to keep all the components the same brand then you should stick with what you've got smile.gif Either way you look at it I don't think the $1200 is worth the difference in the Onkyo systems you listed.

hey zep, how'd the change from 30s to 20s happen? was it something we said? biggrin.gif

maybe I shoulda listened more to the 20s. the 30s seemed to pull me right in to them.

maybe it was the bigger magnets wink.gif

------------------

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

2nd room:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage '75)

Technics 5-disk cd changer

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None

rock on!

No,nthin you guys said,to be honest Im srill kinda on the fence between the 20s & 30s. maybe this question will help me. Are just the 30s video shielded? I know my 10s are not, have to keeep the 2ft. away from the tv.And in the upgrade I will also be getting a 51" sony rear projection hi def digital BOOB tube wink.gif

If you're still interested, I found the Onkyo TX-840 listed in the Oct. 89 issue of AUDIO. 70 watts/channel into 8 ohms, 90 into 4, listed for $380.00.

I still have a 1988 Onkyo bottom-feeder cd player that works ok, but does require a slap once in awhile to keep from stuttering!

On a slightly off-topic note, here are the '89 list prices for the Heritage speaker line (per pair):

K-Horn - $3488

Belle - $2858

La Scala - $1876

Cornwall II - $1628

Chorus - $1630

Forte II - $1298

Heresy II - $928