turntable question

prodj101

Although I have not heard it, there has been a lot of buzz about the VPI Scout. It looks well-engineered with some sound theory such as the external motor off the chassis, acylic platter of substantial weight and heft, belt drive with only the belt making contact, solid ,well-made plinth, nice clamp, good spindle/bearing, and a company that really does stand behind their product. BUT, do realize that it does NOT have a suspension so you have to take care in the setup and stand and be aware of your room properties.

scout2.jpg

The table without the tonearm is VERY cheap at around $800 from Elusive Disc. IF you added a Rega Origin Live or Incognito wired RB-250 tonearm, an arm that is getting RAVE reviews all over, then you come in around $1000-1100 depending! Add a nice cartridge and you hit the $1500 mark with an EXCELLENT piece of gear.

The package price of the table with the VPI JMW-9 tonearm is around $1500 which is also a good deal. While this arm does have a shorter wand than the 10-12, it has gotten some good comments. Edmond/Jazman is very happy with his VPI Scout/JMW-9 arm.

If pressed for money and the $1500 is the top limit, I think the VPI Scout with a Origin Live or Incognito REGA RB-250 is a great deal as it gives you enough for a nice cartridge. Have some extra ducats and the $1500 deal is not bad for the VPI JMW-9 arm (although there is some controversy involving the lack of anti-skating method - you use the tonearm wires). It looks to be a nice table that is upgradable for down the line. VPI is usually a great company to work with.

kh

Ummm... usually the kind of Ortofons that one uses for DJ work (I was a college station DJ for 8 years) are not up to par for this table. While you might be able to use them for the time and being, the arm/table can handle a LOT better cartridge and you would get substantially better sound with a cartridge upgrade. DJ cartridges are great for durability but NO TOO GREAT for sound of this level. An upgrade here would be worth your while.

kh

ps- Actually, which Ortofon are you referring to?

" usually the kind of Ortofons that one uses for DJ work (I was a college station DJ for 8 years) are not up to par for this table. "

Curent DJ carts are designed for durability and abuse and fidelity be damned !

Todays DJ cartridges are built on the assumption that the user will actually whip the needle back and forth to add "artistry" to the "Music" being played.

Buy the cheapest cart/needle replacement you can find for your purpose.

Buy the cheapest cartridges for your purpose? I hope he doesnt confuse that last line to mean with the VPI, if he gets one. I assume not.

Then again, I forgot who I was answering this question for anyway. No offense, but I vowed not to waste multiple paragraphs and effort into another rec this way since in the 10 or so I have given, not one has been either seriously addressed, or barely referred to (nor do you ever answer my followups ie cartridge). You asked for the best $1500 turntable and are now talking about building your own. It CAN be done, but you need a good bearing, arm, and motor from a quality donor table. I am sure others will lend their advice. I find you basically do what you had in mind in the first place, but that's your perogative.

kh

oh, sorry for suggesting something else. in the future I'll try to do exactly what you say for all issues. if you'd read the post again, you'll see the words "what about building a turntable?". What is asking a question, and the subject phrase of the sentence is "building a turntable". So, no, I was not saying I am going to build a turntable, I was asking you wether or not this would be a good idea. please don't get smart with me.

Smart with me? You didnt even mention in your opening post that you were even considering "buidling a turntable" instead just asking what is the best $1500 TT. And when someone spends 15 minutes writing a response, you dont say a word but ask about a cartridge. When they respond to that, you suddenly say, what about building a table. It would be no big deal if I hadnt done this with you time and time again since I you first got here. As I said, no offense, but helping you out isnt exactly the most rewarding pastime, nor have I ever seen you particularly grateful. Again, no big deal but just stating my take on the past few months of going through the same thing via amp, preamp, and now TT. But as I said, no offense. There are many on here that can give great advice. I just know you are one of those guys that ask for detailed advice and then never goes with it. Cant say I have seen you do anything anyone has suggested since I have been here. On top of that, you ask open ended questions such as the involved one concerning monoblocks vs stereo amps. Never heard from you again. I just had forgotten that's all. As stated, others on here are welcome to the task.

kh

monoblocks vs stereo amps was a question from my brother and he turned out to be wrong. Also, I have never made a post besides that regarding preamps or amplifiers. what would you have liked me to rather say in response? "you have never done any of the things you mention thus far". Well, most of my questions have been about RF-7's and 5's, both of which cost over a thousand dollars. Am I stupid for not just rushing out and buying these things right now? or am I smart for wanting to research and get other peoples opinions first? you say time and time again like you have responded to thousands of questions I have made, wehn it's really more like 3. Also, did you ever think that people here may just want to learn instead of changing systems and buying compenents based on responses made by other members? the way you talk makes it seem like if you ask about a pair of Burmester Soundworks speakers, you damn well better buy them.