Altec 511b mod help please ?

Dale W

Dale,

You got a nice price for them. What was shipping?

Yeah, some of these horns come with 1", 1.4" and 2" throats. In order to use the K55 driver, you need a horn with the same throat size. In this case, one inch. In order to mount those horns, you will difinitely need the adaptors that I mentioned up above. Either that, or make them yourself. For ten bucks however, how could you go wrong?

Let me know what you think of them when you get 'em working in your system...

Mike

Mike : $25.00 for shipping, thats not to bad. I'll post a pic when i get them home. There in perfect shape so no refinishing needed.

I think i'm going to build a new headset for the k-horns plus new drivers and networks. Then i can just unplug one and plug in the other so i can really test the sound changes. Well maybe not new, might shop e-bay for drivers.

Then if i want to tackle building a pair of k-horns myself i'll have a extra headset thats ready to go.Man i'd be one dangerous audio freak if i didnt have to work and had the time to play.

What a crazy hobby we have choosen !!!!3.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dale,

I've had my 511b's installed for well over 15 years now. Love'em. So much in fact that I've expanded the practice to my Belles and CW's, only in the case of the CW's, I used University Cobreflex's.

I use University SAHF's to drive the mid-horns in all 6 speakers. All speakers have Stephens Trusonic 103LX2's for woofers. The Khorns have University 4401's for tweeters, the Belles have Jensen RP302's for tweeters, and the CW's have their stock K77 (round magnets) tweeters.

Khorns have K500-5000 nets. Belles have AA's. CW's have B's.

I find it amazing just how well all these components meld together. Truly a case where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.