Altec 511b mod help please ?

Dale W

Jim cornell was nice enough to send me some information about his mod.I hear that q-man-john ellis and mike lindsey also have the mod.I would like to give this a shot myself and would love any imput from you guys on what and how you did yours. I have a complete cabinet making shop at my disposal so the cabinet is the easy part. I found a couple of horns on e-bay just wondering if there are any other sources. Plus are you guys using the stock x-over and tweeter or have you modified these as well . I have read a few posting on x-over mods that someone was building, it all sounds intresting . I run a body shop and customize lots of vehicles , so thats why i could'nt leave my k-horns alone.Stock is no fun, mass production is for the masses not for me . I like and need to have something just a little different from everyone else.WANT TO HELP BUILD A BIGGER AND BETTER MONSTER !!!!!

Hey dale !! off topic, but let me know when your building new cabinets. maybe you could spin me up some bottom bins in oak the same as the ones you built for yourself.You said before that you still had some speaker cloth left over from the last set, do you have enough left ?

Once again many praises for your help so far jim 16.gif.What i'm after is a look at the cabnits that have been made,just for some ideas.Wiring ? what gauge and quality of cable ? or use the old stuff. did you drill holes in the new upper and ankor it to the lower via the threaded bolts.just general oops i made a mistake here kinda of stuff.If i'm going to take the time and spend the $$$ i want to do it right the first time.

LOADEDTUNES: Yes i have enough cloth to build you a pair of bases. But i need to know how old your k-horns are ? If they have the bottom kick plate, then i would not suggest you put bins under them as to make it look right you would have too remove that strip along the bottom , leaving holes in the lower that would need to be filled. yukky 14.gif

Thanx again jim, i had to go onto CNET DOWNLOADS to get a program to open your zip file you sent me. I've never seen black k-horns before, are these factory or did you build them ? Was the original headsection just a flat board like that, with no sides or top ?

Anyway there very intresting, good effort . 2.gif

Dale yes these were sold as is, i called Trey at Klipsch ran the serial #s stamped on the bass bins, Klipschorn 1980 desinger, decorator models!

These didnt have grilles, or tops, these were the cheaper set, than if you bought a full size set, from what i heard these were popular, but i havent seen another set yet!

Heck if i coulod build the bass bins perfectly id have a room full to sell!

So yes, i just removed the top front board, and installed a taller one to fit the 511bs, very simple and easy, i can put these back to original in about 30 min, like i said, i was really lucky to have this set of Klipschorns, if they were the standard set, with grills ETC, i dont think i would of done the mod, Ill post the original speaker on this reply!

These things are wild being 5ft 2in tall!

I think i might get 2 more K-77s and 2 more K-55s to put on the original fronts, so i can just put the complete tops back on, or use this modified top!

What sucks, is we listen to these only 7 feet away! With the Altecs, and the wife and kids, i can pump a bit more volume, with the K-400s my wife was covering her ears, i havent seen her do this since the 511b mod! At any volume!

Besides i was worried about my childrens hearing, the Klipschorn will make your ears bleed!

Now if you WANT the ear percing sound, like the K-400s, dont modify yours!

If we move, and i have more than 8 feet separation, and more than 7 feet from them, like a 20x40 room, ill prabably put them back to original!

All i think i did was adjust the Klipschorns for a smaller room!

Well, i love the sound, either way so try it, and if you dont like it, sell the horns!

Like i said, you can use the drivers from 1 set of your tops, then take off the tops you have now, then angle bracket a taller front for the 511s!

Put sides on them, or tops ETC!

Regards Jim

1.gif

I enclosed a picture of the factory build on these Klipschorns, i think when these were sold to like theaters, the top sections were placed on the ceiling, with the bass bins on there sides, or they could place them in the corners like there supposed to be, i do think i have a pro line Klipschorn!

Which they dont offer anymore!

Klipschorn, decorator, designer

Regards Jim

post-3695-13819245605338_thumb.jpg

I've got to go visit my old high school to see if they still have those four pairs of Voice of the Theater Speakers (three matching pairs, and another high school across town with potentially three more). I only want one set. I wonder what they would take for new speakers if I can get those old ones from them?

Well back to the drawing board once again. I missed my 511b"s on e-bay yesterday. Some last minute sniper out bid me as i sat down to supper.I'll re-bid today on another pair,this time i'll be sitting at my computer as the clock ticks down. This is the tenth time i've been hooped at the last minute. The last time was on a single belle i was going to use as a center channel. History will not repeat itself again.

Dale,

I bought mine from eBay but they were local (about 1 hour drive). I paid $120 for them and picked them up myself. I sprayed them with Painter's Touch flat black paint and they turned out pretty good. I am using them with the stock K-55-M's from my La Scala's and ALK crossovers. In order to be used with the K-55's, you will need a 1" adaptor. I got mine from Parts Express for 4.95/ea. Here is the link...

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=264-322

You will also need six 5/8" bolts that are 1" long with the corresponding locking nuts. They should run you about a dollar at the local hardware store. You will then have to drill 3 holes in the horns to mate up with the adaptor. This should be no problem for you.

I think you will love the sound of these horns and hear it gets better with the Altec 902-8A (or is it B) drivers. Those are 8 ohm drivers however. With Al K's crossovers however, you can set the tap settings to get the right attenuation from the horns...

Mike

Dale,

Right now, the horns are just sitting on top of the La Scala's. Q-Man has offered to build the houses for the 511B's to match the bass bins (he refinished my La Scala's for me), but he will be tied up for a while redoing his cabinets and Khorns to fit the Altec 288's. It might be a while I think.

I have posted some pictures before of how they sit at the moment. If you didn't see them, I can repost them. It's not real pretty but they sure do sound good. 1.gif

Mike

MIKE: Thats ok, I just jumped off this site and over to justins web page. Had a look at your lascala's without the mod. Looks like a very decent job of refinishing them. To bad i live so far away or I'd build you some new homes for those horns. I have'nt decided yet if i'm going to mod the k-horns or lascala's . Maybe both ?? Have to wait and see how much time i can spare away from the family right now. To much on the go at once and too little time. lol

I know i'm not alone with this problem.

Not sure what you're saying. Did you get drivers with your 511B's? If so, which ones? The 511B has a 1" throat, just like the K400 in the La Scala and Khorn. You should be able to take your K55 and mount it to the 511B with the adaptor. Please explain the problem (or show pictures)...

Mike

MIKE: Thanx, i think you answered my question without even knowing it. I didnt know if there were different throat sizes for these horns or if they were all the same. I'm guessing from your comment that there all 1". No drivers come with these ones, there bare and i got them for $95.00 in perfect shape from vintage electronics. They even have the original top mounting bracket (wich i dont need ).

Thanx again for your help and i'll keep you posted on my progress.16.gif