RB5-MK II vs. RF3-II

Fordman

Im looking to upgrade my SB-2's for some reference series.I went to look at and hear the RB5's and they are awesome.The store wants 800.00 for the pair.Well I live in Las Vegas where Sound Distributors is located so I can get these for 575.00 for the pair.The question I have is that after further research I can buy the RF3's for 599.00 for the pair.Now this speaker is much bigger than the RB5's but only a 25.00 difference in the price.Would anyone know why?If you want check for yourself at www.sounddistributors.com.I didnt hear the RF3's but I loved the RB5's and would love to have them(plus they come in cherry finish), but I want the most bang for my buck.Thanks!!

with the rb5 you are paying more for the wood venner where as with the rf3-II which i personally own you get more speaker for you money. From what I here the rf3-II have alot more bass than the rb5. personally with my reciver set on large and with lord of the rings in the dvd player I can vibrate the whole house. If your going for sound quality and not looks than my vote is the rf3

Phips

when i bought my speakers they had all of the rf series in the same room, and i knew that i wanted full range speakers for surrounds, so i auditioned the rb5's and the rf3's back and forth-back and forth, on different music, and in every type of music the rf 3's had superior output high's mid's lows, in comparison the rb 5's sounded a little muted, and yes they will knock your walls down, in a very sweet and appreciated way.

Marks Dad,

I think Stephen and I have the same listening experience with the RB5; your experience was somehow not picking up the finer points.

Some points I have found necessary to apreciate the RB5.

1. High mass stands

a. Sanus Steel foundations Filled with Lead shot.

b. Concrete garden pillar painted and blu tack on top.

2. 20 inches minimum distance from the wall for the port to function properly.

3. distance from mains to sweet spot for RB5s subkectively maybe should not exceed 12 feet.

I thnk they sound great to 50 hz below that get a sub anyway.

I am relatively certain the crossover is a different design. The differences are much more than veneer.

• 2 weeks later...

I have my RB5s 20 -24 inches from the rear wall and about 4 inches proud of the entertainment center furniture.

Slightly(very) toed in toward the sweet spot.

Making the move to pull them forward of the entertainment furniture was a big improvement in soundstge. Many instuments now seem suspended in the middle between the 2 speakers in stereo mode.

Sub is to the right of the right speaker. 8 inches from the back wall; 5 feet from the right wall.

Sub is 12 inch front firing sealed Adire Audio Rava.

RC 3 Center is on top of Toshiba 36 inch HDTV about 5.5 feet off of the ground.

Surrounds are hither and yon in not the best spots but the most convenoent.

Hope that helps.

Rick