Well would you believe it?................

maxg

I had no idea he was on the net, Christos - now I feel like an idiot as I just posted a link on the aca forum as well.

I am interested in his 300B monoblocks. They look like a real bargain at 810 euros - especially as I just sold my Accuphase for 1200!!!

(Of course I will need him to take my old ones in as trade in - not for the money - Georgia will kill me if yet more amps appear. the house just isnt big enough for her shoes and my amps!!!)

Nice to see some of his designs. Not so sure about the wood chassis front and back plates extending past the sides but I guess he wanted a new angle of departure; aesthetically, it's not quite getting it. Still, some nice looking amps! When going for SET, see if he can come up with some tube rectified options as you might really find them more relaxed and natural in presentation. Nice to finally find/see the link.

kh

Kelly,

Thank heavens you are around. Now you know saying something like rectifying tubes means as much to me as the Swahili national anthem.

The amps in question have 1 x 300B & 1 x 6SL7 & 1 x 6AG7. Assuming the 300B is for power what are the 6SL7 and the 6AG7 for? Rectifying? Asks Max Hopefully...

If not what would be used for rectifying and is it likely that whatever it is is replacable by tubes to do the job? What tubes should I be asking him to fit?

Dont go overboard on this - just make detailed and copious notes, wiring diagrams and the like and I will forward it to him to have a look at.

TIA

Max

Max, the only thing I see after a cursory glance at his site that uses tube rectification is a few of his preamp models. As far as I can tell, none of his power amps employ tube rectification, even the 300B option. I just have found that most tube amps sound much more relaxed and musical with tube rectification instead of solid state. That is not to say some solid state rectified amps dont sound ok; it's just that there is someting more magical and natural sounding about tube rectification, whether in PP or SET designs.

Dean, you are right in a way; high voltage tube designs sometimes have a hard time with tube rectification such as your new Apollos coming in. On the other hand, many PP amps employed tube rectification in the past including higher wattage models. I almost always prefer it to solid state although big strides have been made with HEXFREDs and snubbers in the circuit. Still, if I hear a SS and a tube rectified unit side by side, I prefer the tube almost all the time. Trouble is, it's more expensive and the SS rectification is more efficient, cheap, and can provide better control over the bottom with a sacrifice of that ease and relaxed presentation.

kh

Aesthetics is really a personal issue, and, just like the use of oil or poly caps, must be left to the preference of viewer/listener. So what doesn't 'get it' visually for one person, might be exactly what someone else is looking for.

There are probably as many people who prefer solid state rectification over a more purest tube approach. Having used and incorporated both designs in pieces I have built from scratch, I will agree with Kelly that tube rectifiers can have a richer, perhaps more 'liquid' sort of quality. I've heard SS rectifiers being described as 'sterile' sounding, though to my ears that translates more into a kind of 'fast and detailed' presentation. Some amp designers who previously used tube rectifiers have changed over to solid state designs, and some combine a little bit of both -- tube rectification (such as 5Y3, 6X$, GZ 37/34 and others for the B+ voltages) and SS bridge rectifier circuits/filters for secondary filament supplies. Both get the job done, and again in the final analysis, there can't be one intrinsically better or worse than the other -- it's a personal choice.

I have a preamp that I built from scratch, that was originally intended (as far as what is shown on the schematic) to be used with inexpensive diode rectfiers. Some use snubbers in the high voltage section to reduce noise, but I wanted to try full-wave tube rectification using a tube with appropriate specs. for the job. I also built this preamp using Radio Shack diodes, and have been able to compare them side-by-side. To me, the tube circuit is surely more relaxed and (only maybe) more natural in terms of how it compares to real, live music. The SS rectified version is decidedly 'jumpier' and sort of 'athletic' and quick -- which I happen to like. Both low and high frequency transient response seems to be sharper with the solid state approach, as well.

There are some very, very successful designs where a solid state rectifier circuit is absolutely appropriate and effective. I would absolutely not abandon a tube amplifier designed with one if it performs well. I have recently been comparing a $300 amp to one that is many times that price (the former uses a convential SS diodes - the latter a 5Y3 with choke input filter), and can honestly say I believe I prefer the less expensive amp to the higher priced one -- as does my wife, who listens to music as much as I do. Music being an important part of my past (playing drums and percussion in a variety of bands -- rock, jazz, fusion, etc), the little $300 amp., to me, presents a more convincing illusion of the real thing. That simple.

Have fun and Enjoy ....and Friendly Regards,

Erik

Nos,

1 Euro = $1 so conversion aint too tricky right now!!!

Yes take the 18% off for US purchases.

Shipping I have no idea about - isnt there something on the site to tell you? I am sure there are several choices and some wont be too horrendous pricewise.

As for the tube Vs SS rectification I think I will await a winner between Eric and Kelly before deciding finally...

There is no winner between Erik and Kelly... heh.

I can tell you we probably have different listening tastes and preferences based on the changes each of us have done to our amps and the reported preferences. I find the subtle ease of tube rectification to be a noticable difference in my enjoying tube amplifiers. It is one of the little aspects that really matters to me. Others like SS rectification but to me, it just sounds a bit closer to the SS presentation that I am trying to get away from and that I have become so sensitive to. Others are not as bothered by this. I have several SS rectified amps here and one is in the closet while the other more attractive one is out like a piece of tube and chrome sculpture.

But you might not be bothered by this at all. In fact, like most things in audio, when not really aware of it or paying it much attention, you can live with it fine. To me, it is a difference that is important. Simply stated, I would AUDITION his amplifiers in current mode in your own system to see how they sound to you. Give them some time and relax while listening, not trying to analyze particulars at first. REgardless, of what Erik and I say, the end result has to be your own findings. And as stated, more modern tube amps are SS rectified than not.

On a similar issue, Erik and I have the same SET amplifier: The Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondogs. On the other hand, we have gone about two different types of directions in parts for our amps. Where Erik has Mylar coupling capacitors, I have Audio Note/Jensen Copper foil oils. Where Erik has metal film or foil resistors, I have Audio Note Tantalums. ERik redid his circuit for the 5Y3 rectifier tube while I employ the Mullard GZ-37. I believe Erik has two Philips JAN 6SN7WGT tubes while I have a Sylvania 6SN7WGT Yellow Lettering Chrome top going into a CBS 5692. What I am trying to point out is that we are seeking a different presentaion with the same amp and differnt sonic attributes are more and/or less important depending. Ironically enough, we both are drummers that played in bands!

So my advice, once again, is to audition these amps if at ALL possible. And make sure to play all kinds of music while doing it, not just your pre-approved best recordings to hear your sytem. Play music you enjoy and that should move you. Seeing as how you have a relationship with the builder, I would take advantage of the audition option without hesitation. It might save you from making a rash decision.

kh

Absolutely right on, Kelly!

What Mobile has outlined is both the point and enjoyment in serious audio and music listening -- and learning a little bit of DIY helps make the journey more personal and rewarding. He has hit the nail hard, right on the head, and one must agree (I do!) that there is no right or wrong where personal tastes, in either aesthitic issues or the voice preferences of an amplifier, capacitor, coil, resistor, transformer, etc., etc.

So we are not trying to 'beat' one another, or 'win' or anything else remotely related to some sort of audio/electronics competition. This is what's refreshing and interesting about this forum. Most often, even if there are disagreements, arguments, articulate announcements (...that's a quote from a King Crimson album!), most know to back off a bit and let the air clear. It all makes for a dynamic exchange bewteen forum members.

Have a listen to those amps if you can, and see what you think. Forget about what others present might say or believe, and let your ears be the judge. Perhaps ask if there might be a way to audition them in your own listening area -- skeptical about room effects years ago, I've learned that it can have a really significant impact on what music sounds like. I also have to do some work in that area, but I think my very significant other might not like what I come up with in a visual sense.

Funny, Kelly (if you're listening here!), that you were also a drummer. What an *** (pardon my language) I was to sell my kit in order to buy a car for college transportation. I hate thinking about that, but dream of the day I might be able to afford a Roland V-Pro, maybe...something where I can have an acoustic stick feel, while being able to control the volume.

Let us know what you think of those amplifiers! I tried to have a look at them via the link supplied, but I sat for too long a time waiting for something to happen, and gave up!

Erik