Hats off to Classic Records for their new mono deep-groove Blue Note reissues!!!

Allan Songer

I just got my copies of "Introducing Johnny Griffin" and Lee Morgan's "Candy" yesterday and I have to say that these are every bit as good or BETTER than the 1980's Japanese reissues. These two titles are in the mega-buck territory if you can find originals and the King Japanese reissues are hard to find these days as well. The packaging is first-rate, the pressing LOOKS exactly like an original---no groove guard/deep groove on both sides and the SOUND is really something else-- they are dead quiet and have that "hot" old Blue Note quality.

For 25 bucks (at Red Trumpet) you simply CAN'T go wrong!

I am DEFINITELY checking them out as they have some good titles now. Only $25 at Red TRumpet? Sounds very nice to me - I noticed Red TRumpet is really expanding to carry a lot of interesting gear though no tube amp offerings. The went beserk and stocked that piece of s*** MMF-7 though!!! Heh....

Looking for Grand Encounter from you any day. BTW, the Japanese 24 bit reissue is now hard to find; it's a whopping $38 on CD-NOW! It' good but....

kh

I'll never live down called the Music Hall a peice of crap, will I?

I was only talking about how they're made anyway--I've never ever heard one!! If you say they sound good I believe you!! They just look kinda cheesey to me, that's all.

According to the USPS your package was delievered yesterday at around 4PM. Did you not receive it?

Allan

Not to continue the banter, for I understand where you are coming from concerning the average construction of the low end Pro-Ject/MMF series, but the MMF-7 looks to be pretty well made. Here are some better shots of the 7 up close. Up close, it looks pretty solid.

mmf7c.jpg

mmf7a.jpg

mmf7b.jpg

But I have to admit, the VPI Scout looks very nice for $800. Problem is, this does not include the arm or cartridge. But if you have an old Rega RB-300 lying around, I would get the Incognito wire upgrade and Origin Live counter weight mod. Add in the VTA adjuster and you got an amazing deal at $950 or so. But add a new arm OL RB-250 and cartridge, and you are looking at over $1500. The used $1000 area is full of options, but you just have to be very careful. A good Linn in great shape is certainly worth that much in sound, if with at least the Vahalla and the new springs.

kh

Allan,

Thanks for the Red Trumpet tip. It's a site I had not visited. They have a Shirley Horn LP I will order on Monday.

Klipsch out.

PS. If anyone decides to go with a VPI Scout, I would suggest they seriously consider the JMW-9 arm over the mod RB250 or RB300. Now you can get most dealers to go down to 1300 or so for the Scout JMW-9 combo. The JMW arm has some very fine wiring and overall is probably cheaper than the RB300 or RB250 with Origin mods.

Edmond, if you see my post, it was aimed at specifics here. I am talking about a turntable in the price range of the MMF-7, which at about $830 with Eroica MC cartridge, is a full package and about as high as many are willing or CAN go via a new table (and this includes the cartridge).

So me rec for the VPI Scout was in an attempt to GET IT at this price point, and the only way to do this would be if a person might already own a Rega arm from either an older Rega table or other. In this instance, they could do the Origin Live or Incognito mods to their arm and still have a table with the mod price under $1000. This is why the Rega rec. Not to mention, the Origin Live RB-250 has gotten RAVES across the board taking this arm to a whole other level. But this REC was trying to keep the table in the MMF-7 range which would need a preowned arm.

$1300 without a cartridge is a big difference to many who are barely able to scrape up 830 WITH an arm AND cartridge. With an arm and cartridge on the VPI Scout, you are literally in effect DOUBLING (and more) the price of the MMF-7. I have no doubt the JWM-9 is a better arm than the Pro-ject 9 (and possibly the OL/Incognite Rega although I have seen no direct comparisons).

I hope this puts in in perspective.

kh