Boomy vocals from center

The Dude

I am running an Jubscala version with the k510 horn. I've noticed that there is alot of bass coming from the voices that come from the center channel, so much its distorted at times. I have asked on other sites and most folks thought it was the crossover point form the main to the sub. I increased that from 80 to 100hz and it didn't seem to make much difference. My guess is this is due to reflections, but since this is an active system bi amped with an Ashley protea and a Parasound HCA-750, I thought I would ask here on the Klipsch forum. Since the recommended settings dont translate setting for setting to the Ashley, part of me wonders if it's not a setting in the crossover section.

If this is better suited in the pro audio sect, mods are more than welcome to move it, but I thought I would start here.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Boominess is in the 100-200 Hz band.  Here is a graphical view of the K-510 JubScala bass bin PEQs that Roy did in the chamber:

2037370993_JubscalabassbinPEQsvisXConsole.JPG.6abe4d7429b2060012bdbb57835c360f.JPG

Notice the big -7 dB PEQ at 148 Hz (designated by the PEQ3, below it).  It you put in a PEQ like this, I think that most of your boominess issues related to EQ will be solved.  However, if you don't have bass traps in-room across one or more boundaries (forming an enclosed triangle internally, with one end of the bass trap closed off against a wall, floor or ceiling) then I think that you're room will sound boomy, regardless of the flatness of the loudspeaker SPL response in an anechoic chamber.  You can increase the attenuation of the 100-200 Hz band, but note that your recordings will begin to sound "thin" if bass traps are not used at the same time.

Chris

Thanks Chris.  Could I install a triangle bass trap in the corner above the center channel where the wall and celling meet?  To do this and have one end closed off as mentioned, would it mean to have three sides touching a surface or am I only trying to achieve 1-2 sides closed off. I may need to look how to properly install a bass trap, but would also like to know.  If it is needed to have 3 sides, I could build two shorter  traps tucked into the side corners or one long one from end to end between the side walls.  Would this affect the bass produced from my Spuds firing into the upper outer corners of the width of the room?  If so, should this be tried first before attempting to eq the issue out? 

Thanks again for your help. 

Well funny story, I decided to check those PEQ filters and come to find out, PEQ3 and 4 were never added.  I added and will now need to test, not saying this is the complete resolution, but its a good start.  Hopefully I will have be able to test tomorrow while I am working in the evening.